Chapter 3

Elle is disoriented when she wakes up. Where is she, and why is she hooked up to machines. Glancing to her right she notices Knight sitting in the chair next to her, holding her hand. Is it crazy to feel this connected to someone after only having one conversation with him?

She notices his eyes open and he squeezes her hand tighter. "How are you feeling? Are you alright? Do you need more pain medicine?"

The burns on Elle's legs look worse than they feel. "I don't feel anything right now. Whatever they have me on is amazing so don't worry so much."

Elle notices Knight's eyes narrow, "I will continue to worry about you no matter what. You are mine to care for and I didn't protect you. I should be the one in the hospital bed suffering instead of you."

"What do you mean 'I am yours?' We just met."

The slit in Knight's eyes narrow at her, "I've been waiting for you a long time. All I've wanted in life was to have someone to care and protect, and now that I finally have it, I mess up by not protecting you."

Elle rolls her eyes at his protectiveness, "I could have died if that truck hit me. I think you did a great job protecting me Knight. I know that's why you picked your name, but it's becoming overprotective."

Knight suddenly gets up and walks out of the hospital room. Elle doesn't understand why he's acting this way. Why does he think she's his? If he did a better job explaining himself instead of acting like her knight in shining armor she would understand him.

Midnight interrupts Knight storming out of Medical. Why is it always her to set these males straight with their females. There should be a class held explaining the female mind to New Species males. "You stay by her side all night and are way to overprotective of her, then decide to walk out when she wakes?"

Knight is pissed, "Stay out of this Midnight. I need some air."

Midnight looks at Knight with pity, "Go back to her and explain mates. She would be more understanding if you take the time to explain why you are claiming her. If you walk out now she has no one. You stormed in her with her last night claiming she was yours and that is why we let her stay. How would you feel if the only person you knew in a new place abandoned you?"

Knight was overcome with guilt. He was messing up nonstop with his mate and he doesn't know how to act around her. He hasn't had the experience some New Species males have had to know how humans interact. He was raised in the facility along with the New Species Mercile claimed as failures and saw the worst of humanity. How does he let go of those feelings of hatred ingrained in him since he was a cub? Hopefully Elle will take him back and understand why he is the way he is.