Chapter 1

Walking through the woods in Northern California, Eleanor hears a large rustling in the brush to her left. She keeps walking through, thinking nothing of it since this is the place she feels home. Nature and wildlife are her two passions, and she loves caring for the Earth.

The rustling she heard from just before makes a distinct sound that whatever animal it may be, is in pain. Not thinking of the repercussions, Elle runs towards the brush to help the animal. Once she clears the passage she sees a female mountain lion caught in a trap. The mountain lion's paw looks severely infected, and Elle knows she has to do something to help this poor animal. She obviously can't lift the mountain lion, and she left her phone in her car on her hike.

Elle decides to go to the closest place and ask for help. The only problem, the closest place is Reservation, and highly protected. Reservation used to be an old resort, until it was bought by the NSO leader Justice North and turned into a New Species safe haven.

Elle decided to go up to the gates and ask for help. What could go wrong? Be told no by officers and turned around? If that's the worst that could happen, oh well, that mountain lion needs help and New Species are the best individuals to treat her.

As Elle walks towards the gate she admires the security measures taken to ensure the safety of New Species. It's sad they need this much protection since it wasn't their fault they were subjected to the worst humanity has to offer.

Elle is a couple feet away from an officer, when a pick up truck decides to drive full force to break through the walls. The truck is coming right towards Elle, and thankfully the New Species officer throws her out of the way. The male officer takes the impact of their fall, but the impact from the truck hitting the wall causes an explosion. Second degree burns covering most of her lower body.

The male New Species officer starts yelling for help from the others, and as more come her way she remembers the purpose for this trek to Reservation.

Elle looks at the male and yells over the panicking crowd, "You need to go out towards the woods to help a hurt mountain lion! If she doesn't get assistance she could die!"

The male looks down at her in shock. This makes Elle look into the male's ice blue feline eyes and witness how beautiful they are. Wait, why is she getting distracted when there is an animal nearby that is in pain.

"Please go help her. Her paw is in a trap and it looks infected."

The male looks at the officers now surrounding her and tells them to go check for this mountain lion and bring it back to Reservation. Elle's grateful he didn't question her, or think this was an ulterior motive to lure New Species into the woods to be captured.

Elle looked into those captivating eyes and said, "Thank you. I couldn't imagine what would happen if she was left out in the woods for one more night."

The male picks her up and replies, "I'm glad that you found her and she will be taken care of. Now it is my turn to care for your wounds. You have to be in a great deal of pain."

He starts walking towards the front gates, through the panic of people fleeing the water being sprayed at them by officers on the walls. Elle is shocked she is going to be allowed into Reservation so easily, and asks the male where he is taking her.

The male simply replies, "Medical."

Elle questions, "but why are you taking me into Reservation. I thought not many humans are allowed into New Species land that easily."

The male looks down at her, smiles and answers, "You and I have something in common. We do whatever it takes to protect others from harm."

Elle smiles back and asks his name.

The male offers, "Knight. I felt the need to protect my people from the Out World and thought this is the perfect name for how I feel. After everything we survived, New Species should live in peace, and I want to protect them so they are able to."

Elle thought this was the most amazing male she has ever met. She's never felt so connected with a man in her life, and after a couple minutes with Knight she feels safe and content. She tells him her name as he walks through the gates into Reservation.

"Elle, as in the letter L? Why would your parents name you after a single letter?"

She bursts out laughing and says, "it's not the letter L. It is spelled E-l-l-e, short for Eleanor."

Knight looks down on the female longingly as she's laughing and replies, "Eleanor is a beautiful name, and Elle is just as sweet as you."

Elle looks into his eyes for a moment, and wonders if Knight feels this strong connection as well, or is it just her? The adrenaline in her system is beginning to decline and she can feel the pain in her legs caused by the burn and hopes he rushes to Medical.