Chapter Two: The Best That We Can Do Is To Start Over

Start from the beginning

"Let's go sit in the garden outside until it is finished," Lorna suggests, giving me a smile. "It's a beautiful night." The small group of us make our way from the hallway in the front part of the house to the back porch, each taking a place among the chairs and swings and ground cusions.

The back yard is one of the best places to be in the cool of autumn evenings. Over the past five years, I've built up a beautiful scene, I must say. When we moved in, it was fairly simple. Just a few trees and bushes with loads of wild flowers. Now we have a large paved porch and a intricate swing-set that Steve and Pietro spent an entire weekend building. It was a good bonding expierence for the two of them. We even have a small area with a huge picnic table for when we have family cook-outs, which is basically every weekend. 

Pietro settles into one of the chairs next to me, sneaking his arm around my shoulders. Wanda and Vision sit on the ground cusions next to us. Steve, Bucky, Bex, and Nat relax on one of the outdoor sofas; Lorna and Sam on the other. Ksenia, in her boundless energy, bounces up to Natasha, asking, "Can you push me on the swing, Auntie Nat?"

Natasha grins back at her, scooping her up as the little girl squeals. "You betcha!" She turns to face Steven, signing, "Steven, do you wanna push?"

Steven shakes his head and walks over to me, little arms folded and head resting on my knee. "You want up, buddy?" I ask.

Again, he shakes his head, a grumpy look on his face. Bucky jumps up from his seat and goes to grab Captain America's shield from inside the house. I point Steven towards him, and he turns around to face his uncle. "Hey, Stevie, you wanna play with the shield?"

Steven's eyes grow wide with excitement, which is unusual for him. Bucky chuckles, handing him the heavy shield.

"Thought as much. Be careful, it's heavy. You want me to teach you how to throw it like Captain America?" Steven nods swiftfully. "Okay." Bucky ruffles his hair and leads the younger twin away towards the open area of the back yard.

"He's still so quiet," Sam comments, turning to Pietro. "Obviously Glory had an affair, because there is no way that is your child, Maximoff."

Pietro smirks, and instead of running around him or doing something physical like he normally does in retaliation to Sam's sarcastic remarks, he simply says, "Well, Wilson, at least I can keep a girlfriend and marry her. How many girlfriends have you had since we got married? Twelve?" He shakes his head. "It is a real shame."

"Ouch," Steve hisses, eyes closing as he makes a pained face. 

"Very funny," Sam rolls his eyes, crossing his arms.

"I do believe that's called a burn in the 21st century still, right?" Bucky shouts from across the yard with a smirk. "Nice one, Maximoff."

"Yeah! That's hilarious, Barnes! Don't forget I know a shitload of embarrassing stuff about you!"

"I'll shut up now!"

"Damn right." Sam shouts, slumping farther down into his seat beside Lorna. "Everyone's a comedian."

Lorna laughs and pats Sam on his head like she would a small, furry animal. "There, there. You will be okay."

I shake my head at my family. "Hey, when is Mom supposed to be here?"

"She's due back any time," Bex says, curling up to Steve. "She'll be home soon."

I nod, and turn to smile at Sam and Lorna. "How's avenging these days? I heard you guys had a bit of a problem over in Montreal?"

Sam waves his hands, as if it's nothing. "It was nothing we couldn't handle. Just some idiot who thought being a villain was a good idea. Yeah, um, no."