Chapter 20

Clara opened her eyes and felt Austin's arm wrapped around her. She snuggled closer to him, and Austin nuzzled his head into the crook of her neck.
  "Good morning, darling," Austin mumbled.
   "Good morning, baby."
   "How'd you sleep?"
   "Better." Clara lied. She had slept terribly.
  "Hun, you don't have to lie to me. What's wrong?"
  "It's nothing."
  "Come on, baby, you can talk to me."
  "I know." Clara sighed, "I have a feeling something bad is going to happen. I probably sound so stupid."
  "No, you don't. You're just stressed." Austin intertwined their fingers and rubbed circles on her hand.
  "Austin?"
  "Yes?"
  "How are you so patient with me?"
  "Because I love you."
  Clara smiled and snuggled into Austin's side and buried her head in his chest.
  "Sweetie, I need to get ready for work." Austin mumbled. Austin then realized Clara was sound asleep. He carefully got up and pulled the covers around Clara.
~*~
  Clara shivered and opened her eyes. Where's Austin? She rolled over and looked at the time on her phone, 9:30. Clara got up and walked into the kitchen.
  "Chels?" Clara asked rubbing her eyes.
  "Yes?"
  "Why are you here?"
  "Austin wanted me to come over and stay with you till he got home. He said that you had some trouble sleeping last night."
  "Ya. What time did he leave?"
  "8:30."
  "Oh."
  "So whatcha wanna do today?"
  "I was going to clean."
  "Do you want some help?"
  "Sure. Just let me go get ready."
  "Kay."
Clara quickly took a shower and walked out in sweatpants and an old camp t-shirt.
  "I remember that year of camp. That's when you and Austin admitted to liking each other."
  "That was a good year."
"Except for when Alicia found out."
"Ya."
"Oh, did you hear about the high school reunion?" (They went to a small school, 30 kids from 7th to 12th.)
"Ya, I did. Are you going?"
"Yup."
"Okay good. Are Jess, Sam, Derek, and Jason going?"
"Yes, they are."
~*~
A: Don't worry about making dinner... I'll pick up pizza.
C: Okay. I love you.
A: Love you too.
"Well Austin's picking up pizza. Do you want to stay for dinner?"
"I would, but I told my mom I would go over to he house and have dinner with her."
"Okay."
"Well I better get going."
"Okay, bye."
Clara was finishing putting the clothes away when Austin walked into the house.
"Clara," Austin called. Clara heard him walk towards the kitchen. She ran up behind him and hugged him from behind.
  "Hey, sweetie," Austin nervously turned around and kissed her.
  "What's wrong, baby?"
  "Well... Um... I have to go out of town for work."
  "Oh, when?"
  "Tomorrow."
  "Oh."
  "It's only for one night."
  "Oh."
  "I don't have to go, I can stay."
  "No, you're going. I'll be fine." Clara said firmly.
  "You're sure?"
  "Yes."
  "Okay. If you want to, we can FaceTime, while I'm there."
  "You'll have to call me, because I won't know when you're working."
  "Okay. Well, are you ready to eat?"
"Yup."
~*~
  Clara and Austin sat on the couch and watched 'Merlin'. Austin wrapped his arm around Clara and pulled her into his side. She snuggled up to him and laid her head on his chest.
  "Did you hear about the class reunion?"
  "No, when is it?"
  "Friday."
  "So in two days."
  "Yep. I'm excited to see al of our friends," Clara smiled brightly.
  "You're adorable," Austin tapped Clara's nose. Clara smiled up at him.
  "Where's the reunion at?"
  "Boyne Highlands and guess what!"
  "What?"
  "The ski slopes are open!"
  "That's awesome! I'll get our skis out and make sure they're ready."
  "Thanks, Hun!" Clara kissed his cheek.
  "Well, I'm ready for bed."
  "Me too," Clara yawned. Austin picked Clara up bridal style and carried her into their bedroom, and laid her on the bed. He got changed, turned off the lights, and laid down next to Clara. She rolled over so she was facing him and smashed her lips onto his. Austin returned the kiss but soon kissed her cheek and down her jaw. He kissed over her face for a few minutes before he pulled her close and snuggled into her. Clara and Austin slowly drifted off to sleep.
~*~
"Bye, sweetie." Austin kissed her passionately.
"Bye, Hun," Clara whispered as they pulled apart. Austin kissed her one more time before walking out the door.
Oh my goodness I'm going to miss him. It's going to be extremely lonely around here without him. I guess I'll call Jess and Chels and see what they're doing today.
Cl: Hey, do you two want to hang out?
Ch: Sure.
J: I'm in. What time?
Cl: Any time. Austin's out of town and I'm gonna be bored.
Ch: Should we have the boys come? What if Stephanie shows up?
  J: I normally would just say we can keep her away, but I don't know.
  Cl: They could take the extra spare bedroom.
  Ch: Okay.
  I should probably let Austin know, just in case.
(Texts Between Austin and Clara.)
C: Hey, Love. Chels and Jess are coming over and they think we should invite the guys. Are you okay with that?
  A: If that will help you feel safe, invite them over.
  C: Okay, I love you.
  A: Love you too, Hun. Don't take any risks, please.
  C: Okay. Bye.
~*~
  "What do you want to watch?" Clara asked sitting in front of the entertainment center.
  "I don't care," Chelsea said.
  "What about a Marvel marathon?" Derek suggested. Everyone agreed and they started with the Captain America movies. Currently Chelsea and Jason were dating, and Jessica and Sam were dating. Sam and Jessica cuddled up on the couch, and Chelsea and Jason were cuddled up on the couch. Clara awkwardly sat on a blanket with Maddy sitting next to her, and Derek was sitting on a chair.
  Derek's P.O.V.
  Texts to Austin.
  D: Dude, I think you should text Clara. She looks like she's about to cry.
  A: Okay. Thanks for letting me know.
  Austin's P.O.V.
  A: What's wrong, babe?
  C: What are you talking about?
  A: You can't hide anything from me.
  C: Fine. Honestly I'm really nervous about Stephanie, and you're not here for a movie night and all our friends are. It's just weird without you here."
  A: I'll be home tomorrow, and we will do something special. Try to enjoy the night.
  C: Okay.
  A: I love you.
  C: Love you too.
  Austin looked down at his phone sadly. He was sitting on his bed.
  "What's up?" Austin's co-worker, Rob, asked.
  "My wife."
  "Ugh. They are so difficult. Mine never stops talking. She just goes on and on and on."
  "My wife is not difficult, and I love when she talks to me." Austin said getting agitated.
  "How long have you been married?"
  "A month."
  "There's your answer. She not difficult because you haven't been married long."
  "My wife will always be the love of my life."
  "Sure, whatever you say. So why is your wife making you so sad?"
  "Some of our friends went over there, for reasons I don't wish to talk about, and she feels awkward because there are two couples in the group."
  "She's sounds clingy."
  "No, she's wonderful. She just is used to me being there so it's feels different to her. I just wish I could wrap my arms around her."
  "Dude, I'm using this trip as an excuse to get away from my wife. If she texts I'm not answering, and you shouldn't answer your wife either."
  "Why should I ignore my wife?"
"Because this is a vacation from the women. Embrace the freedom."
"I would rather be at home with my wife, than here on this trip."
"Whatever."
C: Well one movies done.
A: What are you watching?
C: They wanted to have a marvel marathon.
A: Aw, babe. Try to enjoy yourself. I miss you a ton.
C: I miss you too. At least you're not gone long.
A: I know. My co-worker, the one that's staying in the same room as me, is a weirdo. He's using this trip as an excuse to get away from his wife.
C: That's terrible.
A: I know. I didn't want to come here because of my wife.
C: You're so sweet!
A: I know. My co-worker is going to take a shower, do you want to FaceTime?
C: Yes!
Clara's P.O.V.
"I'll be back in a little bit." Clara whispered to Derek, not wanting to interrupt the rest of the group.
"Okay."
Clara walked into the bedroom and flopped down on the bed. Austin and her started their FaceTime.
"Hey, babe!" Austin said.
"Hi, Hun. How's the trip so far?"
"It's okay. I wish I could have skipped it though. Has Stephanie showed up?"
"No, but the nights not over."
"You'll be okay. Tomorrow I'll get home and everything will go back to normal."
"I know."
"Do you want to watch a movie?"
"Uh... Sure? How?"
"Turn the tv in our bedroom on and put whatever you want to watch in."
"Oh." Clara realized what they were doing. "What do you wanna watch?"
"Whatever you want is fine."
"Come on. I always pick."
"Fine. How about Sue Thomas?"
"Sure." Clara put the cd in and started the show.
Oh my goodness! Can my husband get any sweeter?! I feel a lot safer just seeing his face.
Austin's P.O.V.
Rob came in and saw Austin watching a video on his phone.
"Whatcha watching?" Rob asked. Austin muted the phone so he could still here when Clara talked, but she couldn't here what they were saying.
"I'm FaceTiming Clara." Austin said looking up.
"Ugh... Dude hang up."
"No, I'm watching a show with her."
"Seriously?! I bet she guilted you into it. Do you want me to tell her off? Here give me your phone." Rob put his hand out.
"First of all, it was my idea because my sister threatened her life, so she's scared. I want to be a supportive husband."
  "Your wife must have done something to make your sister hate her," Rob muttered while flipping down on his bed.
  "She did nothing, and I could have you fired right this minute for those remarks!"
  Rob laughed, "And how do you plan on doing that?"
  "My dad is the owner of this company, and Clara is practically a daughter to him!"
  Rob laughed harder, "You expect me to believe that lie!"
  "You know what I'm going for a walk!"
  "You go do that liar."
  Austin walked out the door with his phone in his hand.
  "Austin?" Clara asked. Austin replied.
  "Why did you yell like that? Don't argue about something silly someone said."
  "Clara Jean, stop it! You're not silly! He just doesn't know what he's talking about! Why don't you ever believe me?!" Austin was yelling even louder now.
  "A... Austin?" Clara whispered looking horrified.
  Clara's P.O.V.
  He's never yelled like that. It's my fault. If I wouldn't have said anything, it would all be fine. It's my fault.
  Tears sprang to Clara's eyes.
  Austin's P.O.V.
  Did I really just snap at her?! What's wrong with me?! No, no, no, she's crying. It's all my fault.
  "C... Clara? I... I'm sorry. I need to go. See you tomorrow. I love..." Clara hung up before he could say anything else.