Chapter 42

"What?"

In the deafening silence that followed, Ruby's exclamation reverberated up and down the halls, echoing in a strangely satisfying way.

Vyella frowned. "I take it you know her?"

Ruby's breaths came in harsh gasps as she steadied herself against the wall, eyes wide as her fingers clenched and unclenched. "She...."

But she isn't my mother.

The words struck Ruby more forcefully than the news of Astaria's death. She swallowed, staggering backwards as she crossed her arms over her chest, swaying back and forth.

"Who is she, Ruby?"

"She is my...adopted...mother."

The word rolled off her tongue strangely. Never in her life had she needed to say adopted. And never again did she want to.

Vyella blinked. "Oh."

Ruby slid against the wall, sliding down to the ground as she shivered. No. She can't be dead. Shock burned through her, cold and numbing, as her fingernails dug into her bare arms.

Vyella lowered her gaze as Ruby shook. "I am sorry. I did not know."

"You have nothing to apologize for." Her voice didn't even sound like hers, so raspy and broken it was.

Silence welcomed itself into the hallway, and she closed her eyes, surrendering to the freezing darkness. How long has it been since she passed away? she wanted to say. Why did she stay at Court after my trial? What about our house?

So this was what Astaria had meant, when she'd told Ruby that they were both royalty. No...Ruby knew why she was royalty, but not her mother....

"Are you...are you sure that you don't know who Astaria is?" asked Ruby.

Vyella blinked. "I am sure."

"When you hear her name, you aren't reminded of nobility? Have you ever heard of a Lady Astaria?"

"The closest I've come to is Lady Estrice. The one who tried to rescue you as an infant across the border between Cerebria and Autemira. But she is dead."

Ruby frowned. She narrowed her eyes, trying to recount Ember's life...her visit to the Ombretroix Coven.... "But Astaria..."

The realization hit her like a slap, sending her eyes wide open.

"Astaria was the heir to the throne," she whispered. "But she gave it up...to raise Constance. To raise me. So the throne went to Reinevra...but this is impossible. How do the people not know about this?"

Vyella frowned. "I'm sure they knew. But I...I didn't. I admit that I was a youth of ten or twelve years old back then, but I heard nothing of the abdication. Perhaps..."

"...Queen Ovenya," said Ruby. "The Fae Queen before Reinevra. Perhaps she wrote something in her will, or just assigned the throne to Reinevra's line. Does your mother know anything about this?"

A bitter laugh emitted from Vyella's throat. "If she knew, she never told any of us. Not even the members of her inner chamber, or officials."

"Then again," admitted Ruby, "it makes sense not to tell anyone. I'm sure Astaria didn't want anybody to be suspicious when she stepped down."

"But this Astaria. Where did this name come from? Did she change her name from Aster?"

"She must have. What did Lady Estrice look like?"