Chapter 47

Ruby stared at the man, eyes wide and disbelieving, as he continued grinning, crimson lips stretched tight into thin scarlet curves as his teeth gleamed white under the half-light.

"Sorry, what?"

"I'm sure Vyella and Rafael explained the process of initiation to you."

That's right. I have to choose between past, present, and future.

She took a deep breath. "Right. I have to choose. So...do I just...."

"You walk through one of the doors. Do you want me to tell you which one is which?"

She rolled her eyes. "Yes, that would be nice."

"They are chronological. The black one is the past, for it has already happened and only has one definition—one straight line. The silver one is the present, for the labyrinth inscribed on it represents how the time right now is a maze. And the last one is the future, for it is as uncertain and intangible as mist."

"Right." Ruby stared at the doors as the man moved out of the way. How on earth am I supposed to choose? "If I choose the past...what will it show me?"

"I do not now. Fate decides what you see—what is most important for you to. However, if you want a word of advice, I'd tell you to not go into the future. Many have done that and regretted it."

"And what about the present?"

"It will show you what's going on right now—in a different location."

"Ah." Ruby swallowed. "How...how on earth am I supposed to choose?"

"I don't know; I've never had to make this choice. All three doors are open to me."

"Then open them all to me, too," said Ruby.

"Why? You don't have any real need to see through all three of them."

She gritted her teeth. "I don't know anything about my past. As for my present, I need to see what's going on in Cerebria, or if the Alliance is willing to take me in. And my future—I want to see how this all ends. I want to see who wins."

"Ah. Hm. And why can't you just wait out the future? Why can't you make a Portal with Princess Vyella if you want to visit Cerebria?"

She hesitated.

"You have no real need to go to the present or future," he said.

"But I can't just wait it out," she said. "I want to...I want to prepare for it. Besides, making a Portal and visiting Cerebria is dangerous."

He raised an eyebrow. "But why do you want to see Cerebria? You know what's going on."

She hesitated again.

And then his lips curled into a smile. "Ah. Jinx. The boy you are seeing."

His words slapped through her like a whip as she bit her lip, nails digging into the palms of her fists. "Is...is he dead?"

He shrugged. "Is he? I'm not Life and Death—I'm Time. I don't care about the individual—I care about the whole."

She swallowed. "Please...can you show me the past, present, and future?"

He was silent, dark eyes shrewd and contemplating, black holes in his deathly white face. "You want me...to show you the past, present, and future? All three? That can certainly be done, my dear, but it'll come at a cost."

"Tell me what it is."

"If you only could pick one door, which one would it be?"

She bit her lip. "Probably...the present. I can always read history books to find out my past, though they may not be accurate."