Angel Warrior Ch. 7

We all stood in a vast open field somewhere here in the Angel Realm. I couldn't tell you exactly where, this place was huge. But me and 11 other new Guardians-in-training were facing a large white stage ready to receive our new mentors.

To my right was Marie-Ann, who last night informed me that she would prefer to be called "Ree", which I for one doubted. I get her reasoning on a shorter abbreviated part of her name, making it quicker and easier to say, but still. "Marie-Ann" suited her perky personality better in my opinion. But oh well, her choice. To my left was a newly made friend, Robin. He was about my height with long black hair with a white stripe. It looked rather cool to me. He was shy at first, but the more me and Marie- uh... Ree, talked to him the friendlier he became. Turns out he was the color blue, like Crusade. I wondered if he would be his mentor. 

"Hello everyone" a woman announced over the microphone on stage. She was quite tall, with long silver hair that went down to her knees. She spoke with a strong and powerful voice. I could only picture her a strong leader, as all the older angels seemed to look up to her, well, besides the men that were just staring and admiring her beauty. I couldn't blame them though, both her hair and large, pure white wings seemed to glitter in the broad sunlight. "I would like to begin first by officially welcoming you to the Angel Realm. I'd like to thank each of you for choosing to dedicate your afterlifes to helping the world you left behind from the most dangerous creatures on earth. It is a life of pure commitment and sacrifice, but I sense great power and energy out of this group, and I look forward to watching you all grow into strong Angel Warriors. I am Christine, head of the Guardian Angels." 'I knew it...' I thought to myself. "Now, as each of you know, you will be given a current Guardian as a mentor to train you in knowledge, skill, and battle technique. I have hand selected a mentor for each one of you keeping in mind your abilities, color, and personality from your AC resumes." I stopped to think. 'Resumes? I don't remember filling out any information...' "I shall start with our first apprentice, Peter Williams, please step forward" a boy at the far left of the line stepped forward. "Peter, you are color green. You are hard working and have a kind nature. I have assigned you Guardian Nathaniel" an angel flew from the stage and landed in front of Peter. They recited the oath that we learned before the ceremony for apprentice and mentor then bowed. The Guardian flew back to his position on stage with the other angels behind Christine, and Peter stepped back. 4 more came and did the same as Peter, then 6, Robin, was asked to step out. "Robin Cross, your past is certainly extraordinary. You were trained as a knight and followed the code of chivalry. You are extremely loyal and possess the color of blue. Your battle skills will certainly come in handy on your future adventure" I stared at him in amazement. He was really cool! "I have assigned you Guardian Blackwood." An angel with dark blue hair flew up over Christine and landed in front of Robin. They recited the oath and both bowed. As he stepped back, he gave a sigh of relief. "That was nerve racking and embarrassing" he whispered to me and I chuckled silently then stood straight, preparing for my name to be called. My heart the dropped in fear as she skipped me, going on to the next person. "Marie-Ann Rodgers, or as you would like to be called, Ree, you are a very positive spirit and optimistic. Containing the color purple, I give you Rachel Hunter." A female Guardian flew from the stage and landed in front of Marie-Ann, who looked at her hesitantly. "Um, Ms. Hunter, what about Kimiko?" She only held a finger over her mouth "Don't worry, Christine never makes a mistake, she must have reasoning" with that, she recited the oath and they bowed. She stepped back "I'm sorry Kim, I tried" "D-dont worry" Robin pitched in "like she said, there has to be reason, right?" I took a deep breath calming down.

She got to the last person and there was a long pause. I was beginning to sweat nervously. Could she have forgotten me? Mabee she just went over my name without realizing it. While everyone else clapped for the ones who were acknowledged, me, Robin, and Marie-Ann stared ahead at Christine concerned. "Now, as I'm sure you all have realized, I skipped a certain girl. But I tell you now, it was no mistake, I never make mistakes" she smiled. "Miss Kimiko, would you please come on stage with me?" My heart was racing as I gulped, stepping onto the stage with Christine and the others. Christine smiled warmly at me then addressed the crowd. "Each of you had your own mentor of the same color. But Kimiko is a bit different. This ceremony, we have designated five blue, one purple, three fire and one green angel statuses. You could easily be matched up with a mentor of the same color. But Kimiko here is the rare Gold status. Currently, we do not have a Gold Guardian on our forces, so we can not assign her her own mentor of the same color" whispers spread through out the crowd, and I gulped staring up at Christine. "But, I have good news for you. Crusade was a close friend of a Gold status Guardian. He has specifically requested to train you, which I fully believe he can." I smiled and I began to relax. I get Crusade! I felt comfortable with this arrangement as he walked in front of me. We made eye contact, and for the first time that I've seen, he smiled. I smiled back, and we recited the oath and bowed. I returned to the line of new trainees and Crusade took his place beside Christine. I swore right then I wouldn't let him down, no matter what. I was going to be the best Guardian this universe has ever seen.

The very next day, our real training had began. No more text books of background knowledge, time for battle and practice in the field! So I thought at least. I met up with Crusade at one of the small restaurants in the central area of the realm, and the first thing he did was hand me a gigantic book. "This will be your first task" he claimed, as I stared up at him in disbelief. "Memorize each and every word by next week, and I will meet you here" with that, he walked off and left. I stared back down at the huge book he handed me and sighed. I carried the anchor of paper back to my dorm and dropped it on my desk. "How the heck am I going to memorize all this by next week?!" I muttered under my breath in frustration. "What's it about anyway?" I opened it to the first page and skimmed over the first chapter "Scripture...different kinds of demons...other creatures too...I guess it is important to know, but these raw facts are so bland to memorize..." I sigh and begin, not wanting to waste any more daylight.
Hours later, my stomach ached and growled. "Come on!" I griped at myself annoyed "I haven't even reached the third chapter, let alone memorize one sentence..." I sigh and stand up stretching. I was walking out heading down the dorm hallway, when I heard quick footsteps behind me. I glance over my shoulder, and barely catch a glimpse of black wings. 'Black?' I thought to myself. 'There shouldn't be black wings...' so out of curiosity, I quietly hurry to where I saw the shadow run. As I turn the corner, I cocked my head in confusion. 'A dead end? But I could have sworn I watched that shadow run this way...' then something caught my eye that was laying on the ground. I bend down and picked it up 'a black feather...how could this be? And where could that thing, whatever it was, have gone?' "WHOOOOOUUUUU WHOOOOOUUUUU" A loud alarm suddenly went off that awoke me from my thoughts and I instantly smelled smoke. Fire?! I run back around the corner only to find myself trapped. Fire was blocking the only exit, and smoke was filling the hall quickly. I pull my shirt over my mouth forcing myself not to panic and dropped low, stuffing the odd feather in my pocket. I heard faint screams through the floors as my vision was fully blocked by smoke. I began coughing vigorously, feeling my lungs fill with smoke. I try to back up against the farthest wall and sit on the floor leaning back, keeping my shirt over my mouth. I squint my eyes, trying to find some sort of last minute escape, until I see something unbelievable. I rubbed my eyes, thinking it was just a smoke hallucination, but no, it was real. Two demonic yellow eyes stared back at me through the fire. There was an angel right in the middle of the flames! But it just stood there, staring back at me unhurt by the raging fire. I was starting to grow light headed as I felt my lungs filling with smoke. But just before my eyes closed blacking out, I saw it. The angel standing in the middle of the dancing flames, spread out its large black wings, and closed its yellow eyes, disappearing from sight. Before I could say another word, my lungs filled with smoke, and I fell to the side losing consciousness.