Dying To Meet You

Start from the beginning

A small smile grows on your face as you place the headset into your ear, the mouthpiece hanging across your cheek. With a shaky finger you press the button, taking a deep breath before calling out his name. You're greeted with nothing but silence for a few moments before static starts to ring through your ear.

"[Name]?" his voice replies quietly, as if he's in disbelief. Your knees buckle slightly in relief, resting a hand against the wall for support. "Are you okay? What happened? Where's Ven?"

You can't help but release a small laugh at the barrage of questions.

"I'm fine, Ven's fine. He," you trail off, shooting the blond a grateful smile. "Ven saved my life."

"What happened with Vanitas?" he asks breathlessly as Ven returns your grin.

You pause, searching for words. Do you tell him now, the entirety of what happened? No, definitely not. Who knows who's listening in to this conversation? Something like this needed to be told in person, in private, especially since you were still trying to wrap your mind around it.

"... He's dead. Stabbed through the heart."

"Good. Bastard deserved it."

You swallow uncomfortably, averting your gaze towards the ground as you clench your eyes shut. Burning tears slide down your cheek as the memory of scared, golden eyes cross your vision, the guilt and your failure suffocating.

"Yeah, he... he did," you finally agree with a surprisingly calm voice, hugging yourself around the waist with your free arm. A small hiss leaves your lips as your fingers brush across the stab wound on your hip and the deep burn on your waist. You had almost forgotten about your injuries. "Are you okay?"

"I will be, yeah. We're all pretty beat up I think. Wait where you are, we're coming."

"Okay," you murmur as the line goes dead. You glance up at Ven, who's watching you like a hawk. "He said to wait here. They're coming."

"Yeah, we planned on meeting up here," Ven tells you as you pluck the headset from your ear and toss it into his waiting hands.

"So, what did I miss?" you ask, straightening your back as you do your best to stay composed.

"Last I saw, Axel defeated Saix. Then we heard Vanitas through the headset, and I left."

Good, so all that's left is Xigbar and Xemnas. Maybe the odds were finally in your favor. Before you can respond, echoing footsteps ring through the hallway just outside of the door, and you glance past the makeshift Organization graveyard beside you. The first person to walk through is Noctis, one of his eyes purple and swollen shut. You spring into action, running towards the group of defeated-looking SOLDIERs.

"Are you okay?!" you exclaim, running a finger down his cheek.