Epilogue

Eighteen years later

Today is our twenty fifth anniversary and I am surprised at where the time has flown by. I am standing here in my bedroom watching the preparations in the grounds of our gorgeous house. Tonight all our friends and family are gathering here to watch us renew our vows.

Our children are busy, helping oversee the place settings. Jonas is fifteen and a spitting image of his dad. He is the responsible one, the kid on whom my mother has set her hopes on; to be a future leader of our country. Cheryl is twelve and takes after her grandmother.  She has the same peaceful attitude in life as Ian's mother.  She is also like a faerie, lost in her own world and always ready with a helpful action or a kind word. Lastly there is Anna, a precocious child at ten and completely able to wrap eveybody around her little finger.

Ian and I are even more in love now than we were at the time we got married. We have had a good life together and I feel a thrill when I anticipate the future with him. Already I am happily imagining how it would be when my children would get married.

Anna has come running to my room, " Ma! Start getting ready. You have to be ready on time. Dad hates to be kept waiting." She rattles off to me and like a whirlwind she is gone the next minute.

I stir myself from my happy thoughts when Ian enters the room and locks it. He looks so distinguished with silver in his hair. His body is still strong and vital and he can still take me on a journey so pleasurable that my mind reels. He smiles at me and walking towards me he hugs me tight and murmurs in my ears,"Nicky I love you."

" I love you too Ian. " I remind him for the hundredth time today. I never tire of hearing the words or saying them. He tugs me toward the bed and we smile reminiscently as we look at the painting hanging over it. It is a painting of a beach, sheltered in a cove where a couple are frolicking in the water. There is a shadowy figure next to the couple and many people mistake it for a family.

Only three people know that it is a tribute to a special weekend in our lives when we became closer than ever. We have never been there again or done any of the things we did then.  However the thought of it still sends us to a place only we can access. We still talk about that weekend since two of the three nights we spent there were the strangest and the most fantastic nights of our lives.

Ian holds me tighter and whispers in my ears, " Happy anniversary darling.  I have a surprise gift for you tonight."

I shiver delicately and he kisses me as if I am the only thing holding him together. I know that for me he is the only one who is holding me together.

" Happy anniversary Ian,  I wonder what your surprise tonight is going to be!" I grin at him and he winks naughtily.

                                                           The end.