A birthday kiss (Book 1 Ch 4)

Start from the beginning

On the Friday of their study break, Hermione finishes her scheduled stint in the library early since no classes occupy her day (or week) and joins her friends in the Great Hall for dinner. Ron suggests they take a break (from all the studying he hasn't been doing) and head down to The Three Broomsticks for a few drinks to commiserate the end of their week of freedom. Her friends don't bother to hide their surprise when she agrees, and after finishing their meal, they leave through the Grand Doors and make their way down the winding paths into the village of Hogsmeade.

Unfortunately, upon entering the pub, they find Malfoy and his friends sitting at their usual table. This forces them to sit at the only spare table near the door, where they can feel a draft creeping beneath the threshold.

"Hermione, go say something," Ron huffs, slouching in his chair. His jacket collar was turned up to fend off the cold. "Your friends with Zabini and Nott."

Hermione laughs, "I sometimes speak to them in Alchemy class and the library." Glancing over at the four Slytherins, seemingly enjoying themselves as they share a bowl of chips, she watches Blaise's head fall back against the booth. He laughs at something Malfoy had just said. "They got here first, get over it!" Hermione stands to buy their first round of drinks and maybe a few snacks to soothe Ron's grouchiness.

When she returns, the conversation turns to catching up on the happenings in each other's lives. Hermione hadn't realised how much she missed by keeping herself busy in the library. She is thoroughly enthralled by some of the stories her friends tell her about midnight walks back from Hogsmeade on a Wednesday night. However, it explains many of her friends' actions on Thursdays. As Luna describes how Professor Flitwick almost caught her wandering the halls after curfew a few weekends ago, Ginny taps Hermione's knee and then passes a note beneath the table. Careful not to let anyone else see, she unfurls the note and struggles to read her friend's chicken scratch handwriting.

Talk to the Slytherins about Ron's surprise party. Now!

Hermione locks eyes with her friend, who nods towards the bar. When Blaise orders another round for his friends, she pockets the note and excuses herself to speak with him.

"Hi, Blaise. Could I have a word?" Hermione asks, leaning against the bar to seem casual.

Blaise stares at her curiously. "In my experience, nothing good ever follows those words. Are you breaking up with me?" He jokes.

Hermione rolls her eyes. "Next Tuesday is Ron's birthday, and we're throwing him a little surprise party in the common room after dinner..." She leads off, feeling awkward and hoping he'll understand without her needing to say the words.

"Oh, are we invited?"

Hermione's mouth gapes as she tries to let him down, but she realises he's joking and understands her predicament. "I don't want to ban you and your friends from the common room; it's your space, too, but you must know how Ron feels about all of you," she explains.

Blaise looks at her table and eyes Ron, who glares at them. "I think I'm aware," he laughs, placing a hand on Hermione's shoulder. As he leans in, Blaise whispers, "How about I buy the birthday boy a bottle of firewhiskey as a peace offering, and we stay in our corner of the room?"

"Thank you, Blaise." Hermione genuinely smiles. "That's more than I was going to ask.

"No problem. I'm looking forward to seeing if the rumours are true." Blaise winks at her and turns to pay for his drinks.

"What rumours?"

"That Gryffindors know how to party." He grins, collects his drinks, and walks over to the other three Slytherins, who she now realises have been watching their interaction.