Chapter 7 (Part 2)

Start from the beginning

I can't just pop outside whenever I want to without worrying about running into you-know-who.
Now he's only a door away, and I'll have to spend every moment of my life avoiding him.

What if he sees me?

What if he's watching right now?

Even if he isn't, what if I run into him outside?

Oh God.

I can't do this.

I.

Can't.

Screw class, I'll just stay here.

Wait. No, no, no that's a drop-out decision.

You can do this, Alex.

Inhale, exhale, sprint.

Inhale, exhale, ready, steady, go for it!

I wrench open the door and bolt towards the stairs as fast as my legs can carry me. The harder I run, the harder it is to breathe, but I'd rather suffocate than run into him----again.

I still hear it, the slow creak of his door, the crash of his feet against the frame, the silent screech of tension in the air between us.

If I hadn't left with Kai, he might've said something.

He looked like he wanted to say something, but the thing is, I don't plan on saying anything to him ever again.

Because when it comes to Elias King, sticking with the eternal silent treatment is the best option. A text message ding cuts through the quiet.

I shove my book/laptop pile under my arm and check my screen.

Text Message from Indigo-Rose at 9:45 AM:

IR: Hey Lex, you coming to class today?

AS: On my way, I totally overslept. Did I miss anything major?

IR: No, just a lot of rambling and a super lame powerpoint. Wanna ditch? There's a new crystal store on 3rd Street I wanna check out. Our room's feng shui is totally off.

AS: I would, but I really can't miss class. Scholarship duties. Sorry.

IR: Bummer. Well, if I'm not around when you get here, don't freak-out. My horoscope says I'm due for an adventure today, so I may peace out in the next few minutes. Universe duties.

AS: Okay, cool. See you later I guess?

IR: Depends. I don't choose my path, Lex, the universe has already chosen it for me. But let's get lunch at Covel dining hall later. Cool?

AS: Cool. Yeah. See ya!

IR: Namaste.

When it comes to the wonderful world of weird roommates, Indigo definitely tops the list. But even with all her weirdness, I hope she'll still be in class when I get there. 'Cause if she isn't, I'll probably have a full-fledged first day panic attack. 

Fact.

***

"Ms. Summers, I presume?"

If Mr. Rodgers and Julia Child had a baby and raised her in a rainbow flower patch inside the "Land of Make-Believe", I'm pretty sure she'd be my professor. No joke.

The second I sneak into my claustrophobically small class room, a woman dressed in what might as well be Joseph's technicolor dream coat along with a pair of yak fur boots, waves me over.