Let's Kill Tonight ~ Chapter Six

Zacznij od początku

Almost an hour later, and Rebecca and Neville had potted up almost thirty mandrakes. Professor Sprout motioned for  the class to stop what they were doing. She collected up the plants and put them safely away in the greenhouse next door. The students took off their earmuffs and began clearing up.

“We did well,” Rebecca marvelled to Neville as she swept soil off of the table.

“I’m surprised you touched the dragon dung, to be truthful. Most girls squirm away from it.”

Rebecca turned happily to him, deciding that learning Herbology at Hogwarts was far more interesting than being taught it from a book by a tutor. “Well, I’m not most girls.”

~

Rebecca sat at the long table with her head in her hands as Ron continued to shovel food into his mouth. Hermione was in the Library and Harry had somehow managed to earn himself a lunchtime detention, despite the fact it was still only their first day back.

“Herbology ok?” Ron asked, picking up an egg sandwich.

Rebecca gave him a catlike yawn as her answer. “Neville Longbottom was nice enough though,” she added thoughtfully.

Ron nodded. “Yeah he’s cool. So, you enjoying Hogwarts so far?”

Rebecca reflected back over her day before answering. So far she’d been in a fight with two Slytherins, discovered the Room of Requirement, spent time with Draco, caught a professor hiding sherry, decided on her plan of action, found a friend in  Blaise Zabini, done well in Herbology for once in her life, and met Neville. Not bad for a first day. “Yeah. It’s interesting here.”

“You were home tutored before, right? Mione told me.”

“Hmmm. Yeah,” Rebecca sipped at her cup of tea. Just down the table from her sat a seventh year whom she’d noticed had been sneaking looks at her for the last five minutes. She stood up, deciding to go and introduce herself. “Listen, Ron, I’ve just got to go and talk to someone.”

She went over to the boy and sat down next to him, not bothering with formalities. He had, after all, been unashamedly staring at her. “Hi.”

 “Hi,” he repeated, fanning his face with a cream envelope. He had a mop of messy hair, and his build was very athletic. “The names Cormac. Cormac McLaggen.”

Rebecca nodded. “Well Cormac, I couldn’t help but notice you were looking at me.”

Cormac gave her a look, one that lasted perhaps a little too long, and Rebecca found herself feeling somewhat exposed under his glare. “Yeah, I’ve been wanting to speak to you. You’re close to Granger, are you not?”

“I’ve known her for a day,” Rebecca replied, not really understanding what Cormac’s point was. Or if he even had one.

“That’s enough,” Cormac shrugged. “Would you mind introducing us?”

A sudden explosion went off in Rebecca’s head, and a train of thoughts entered her mind. Cormac fancied Hermione? She couldn’t have planned it better herself. Now she had someone to distract Hermione with to make Harry feel alone, as she had written on her plan;

1)     Distract Hermione Granger with a boy.

“So, what do you say?” Cormac asked her again, impatiently.

“Well, like I said,” Rebecca answered, “I’ve only been here for a day, so I wouldn’t say me and her are anything more than acquaintances yet. However Ron and Hermione are pretty close, so I’m sure he’ll happily introduce the two of you.”

Cormac grinned, grabbing an apple and taking a gigantic bite out if it. “You’re right, he would,” he mused, apple juice dribbling down his chin. He wiped it away, munching happily. “You and I make a good team Rosewood,” he said, despite the fact the whole idea of asking Ron had been Rebecca’s idea. “you know, if it doesn’t work out with Granger, maybe you and I could get together.”

“Maybe,” Rebecca replied, taking that as her cue to depart, grimacing at the thought of her and Cormac together.

~

Rebecca wandered happily into the library, whistling a tune, much to the displeasure of Madam Pince, the librarian. She looked down the aisles, searching for Hermione, who she thought she’d better tell about Cormac’s plans.

Everything was going wonderfully well. If Hermione became distracted with the pursuing Cormac McLaggen, it would just leave Harry and Ron. And then, when she’d found someone for Ron, Harry would begin to feel lonely, being the only one without a love interest.

Rebecca grinned to herself. She felt like some sort of evil matchmaker.

“Hi Hermione,” she called, finally spotting the girl, who was reading at a desk.

Hermione looked up at her from her book. “Rebecca. You’re looking cheerful. Are you enjoying Hogwarts?”

Rebecca laughed. “Yeah, today’s been really good thanks. Listen, Cormac McLaggen; what do you think of him?”

Hermione scrunched her nose up in repulsion as an answer. “I pity anyone that has to converse with him.”

“Oh, well, funny you should say that. I was just talking to him, and he seemed very intelligent. In fact, I instantly thought of you. You and him would make a perfect couple.”

“Really?” Hermione gazed down at her book. “I’ve always considered him as a very egotistical person. But I suppose he may of changed over summer.”

Rebecca gave her an innocent smile and picked up a book which she flicked through casually. “Well, I thought I’d just let you know that he was asking after you.”

“Me?” Hermione exclaimed. She smiled to herself and tucked a strand of hair behind her ear before continuing her studies, leaving Rebecca feeling smugly proud.