Medical report (24)

Start from the beginning

-Please tell me how is she. – I asked before my heart exploded.

This feeling of wanting to protect Camila was so strange. But this anxiety of wanting to see her was even more unknown to me.

-She's undergoing a medical procedure, we don't know if the bullet punctured any organ. – Dinah sighed, letting a few tears escape – She lost a lot of blood.

I didn't know what to feel. It was a mixture of helplessness with concern. My body was shaking and my heart was strangely tight.

-Lolo! – I felt a body collide against mine, it was Sofi – I'm sorry for calling you like that, it's just... I... – the little girl couldn't complete the sentence, her gaze was lost and confused, which made my heart hurt even more. I wasn't there just for Camila, but also for Sofi. The girl sounded so sad and scared on the phone.

-I told her that what she did was wrong. – Dinah said with a firm voice.

I crouched down and looked at Sofi, who also had her eyes reddish and wet.

-Hey, it's okay, you can call me anytime. You know that, don't you? – she nodded embarrassed.

-Is Kaki gonna be okay? – she asked full of concern.

-We don't know yet, Sofi, but I promise you that nothing bad will happen to her. – I flashed her a smile with the intention of comforting her, and she reciprocated with a weak one.

-They said that it was a very bad man who did this to her. – her eyes watered and she hugged me.

-Unfortunately there are a lot of bad people out there, Sofi. – I stroked her back as she sniffled. We stayed like that for a while until she slowly calmed down.

-Do you want to meet my parents? – Sofi asked, pulling away from my arms.

-Oh yeah, the witch is here. – Dinah muttered, reminding us of her presence.

-Dinah! – I scolded her and Sofi frowned – I'd love to, Sofi. – Sofi pulled me by the hand.

For the first time I would meet the parents of one of my "affairs". Camila and I are an affair, right? Right. The funny thing about all this is that Camila knows more about my family life than anyone, except for Mani, and I don't know anything about hers. I don't know if her parents are married or divorced, if they are nice to her and Sofi, I don't even know their names. Perhaps because she's just an affair? I had barely noticed, but I was already in the waiting room where there were some people gathered. Vero, some police officers that I didn't know and possibly Camila's parents.

-Mom. Dad. – the girl caught their attention – This is Lauren, she's a friend of Kaki's.

-Nice to meet you, ma'am. – I said holding out my hand to the woman who reciprocated the act, and so did her husband as well.

-Lauren's the one who has a huge Island where Kaki took me.

-Oh, really? Sofi doesn't stop talking about how beautiful the Island is. – I smiled awkwardly.

-You'll take me there again, won't you, Lauren?

-Sofi! – the woman said seething and I laughed.

-Of course, as soon as Camila gets better.

-Over my dead body! – I heard Rob's deep voice.

-You don't have a say in anything. – Sofi said angrily.

-That's where you're wrong, kiddo. – Rob brought his hand to Sofia's hair, ruffling it, leaving the little one even more angry.

Sinu held her and scolded her, while Rob glared at me without blinking.