Chapter 6. War Song

Owen's POV:

The melody coming from the servant's quarters compelled him to go and spy.

His conscience screamed at him that it was wrong, but he couldn't help himself, the hypnotizing melody from a violin pulling him ever closer like a siren's song.

He often played the violin himself, so he thought he could recognize the emotions behind this song. It was a war song, a declaration of battle, with a heavy thread of sadness to it.

However was playing right now, they had a truly ferocious thirst for blood.

And so, when he saw the identity of the player he almost lost his composure and revealed himself.

Owen couldn't do anything but stare as the gentle and delicate Sang-chan played a song that seemed to be the complete opposite of her personality, and still, it managed to fit her persona perfectly well.

This girl was a mystery and he didn't know what to do with her. She was a wild card, completely unexpected and full of surprises.

She kept her posture docile during their meeting the day before, but whenever he looked at her eyes he saw a strength and resolution there as unmovable as a mountain.

There wasn't a single submissive bone in Sang's little body and her docility was a mask she wore the same way he wore his authority.

He didn't know what bothered him more, the fact he knew he couldn't control her or that he couldn't control himself when it came to her.

Either were very dangerous prospects. And far too tempting, too.

......

Luke's POV:

After what I had witnessed in the gardens I didn't know what to do or think.

Apparently, Sang-chan was Wil-sama's lover. At least, that's what it looked like, but I had a feeling that things were quite different in reality.

I trusted my instincts.

And that's why I now stood outside of Wil's rooms, contemplating what to do.

I didn't want to tell my brothers what I had seen yet. I knew Sang was already affecting my family, and the possibility that she wasn't as pure as we thought could be disastrous.

The door to Wil's room suddenly opened, startling me. Strangely, I hadn't heard him walking to the door.

Huh.

He looked just as startled at seeing me outside his room as I was before he blanked his face into his usual arrogant mask, hiding his emotions with ease.

Huuummmm... I hadn't been aware that he was so good at subterfuge, either. I wonder what else we missed about our lord's son.

He sneered at me. "Well, to what do I give the dubious honor of having one of my father's stray dogs outside of my door like a lost puppy?"

I smiled at him, and judging by the way that he paled I knew it wasn't my usual cheerful smile, but the one that said I would cut his throat open and enjoy it.

I went down on one knee, which was only proper considering our different status, but I kept my eyes on his challengingly. He had my respect because of his father, but he really shouldn't push it.

"I came so that I may receive the answers to a few questions." I told him, my tone of voice breaking no argument.

He raised an eyebrow at me. "And what makes you think I would waste my time with your silly questions?"

I kept my gaze firmly on his face as I answered. "It's about Sang-chan."

If I hadn't been paying as much attention as I was to him at that moment I would have missed the tiny flicker of his eyes before he masked his reaction.

I had never noticed how good he was at masking his emotions before, but the brat was clearly more skilled than we had thought.

"I don't see why you would want to ask me questions about another clan' servant." He told me, his voice flat, eyes showing a coldness I didn't expect to see in the carefree youth.

I gave him my most charming smile. "Perhaps that is because you were declaring your undying love for her only a few hours ago." I said.

His eyes hardened and he looked around the deserted corridor before turning around and entering his room, leaving the door open after him.

I took his invitation, my stomach twisting with nerves and the certainty that whatever would follow would forever change me and my family.

......

Owen's POV:

Once her melody was finished, the last few notes fading in the light breeze, I stepped back into the shadows.

For a moment I just stood there, breathing quietly, trying to compose myself. It was amazing how much her music had moved me. I felt my blood boiling from the rage that she had emanated, the fire rushing through my body and leaving me wide awake and more aware of my body and surroundings than I had been in a long time.

I took a deep breath to calm down. After feeling a little steadier I began to back away, walking through the clan's house' long corridors until I stopped outside the door to my own office.

Entering quietly I came face to face with my lord. Jack Winchester was sitting in a chair in front of my desk, his long legs crossed at the ankle; his head throw back, resting against the back of the chair with his eyes closed.

"Owen-kun." The older man greeted him without even opening his eyes.

I knew I'd been completely silent in my approach, but Winchester-sama was a skilled and experienced warrior, with incredibly keen senses.

"My lord." I said, sitting behind my desk, pushing my glasses up.

Winchester-sama straightened then, turning his dark brown eyes to look at me, his gaze calculating.

I waited patiently, whatever it was he wished to tell me, he would do so at his own time, and no sooner.

Sighing tiredly, my lord leaned forward, propping his elbows at the desk, fingers entwined together. "The Sorensons are becoming a problem."

I pushed my glasses up, my gaze sharpening in his. Whoever dared to threaten our clan would immediately be eliminated.

"What appears to be the problem, my lord?" I asked him. Even to my own ear my voice sounded menacing.

"Huuummm..." The older man hummed for a little, considering his words carefully. "They are pushing for this marriage between their daughter and my son, alleging it is necessary to avoid the war brewing between our clans. But I do not believe that uniting myself to the Sorenson is the best solution."

I'd rather avoid a war, even if it meant allying ourselves to the Sorenson, but I trusted my lord to know what was better for the clan, and nodded my head to show I was listening.

"You need to dispose of Marie Sorenson, Owen-kun." The older man added.

I knew what he was planning. Killing the girl would be a declaration of war as well as a way to ensure their victory at the coming battle. A clan without an heir was a weak and hopeless' clan, they wouldn't put up much of a fight.

It was a smart and easily foreseen move and not for the first time I wondered at the Sorenson's stupidity over entering their enemy's territory. Did they not expect us to attack them?

What were they thinking?

"Consider it done, my lord."