Chapter 1: Introduction

Sang's POV:

I was busy, cleaning Marie-sama's rooms when her screech reached my ears.

"Saaang!!"

I sighed, propping the broom I had in my hands against the wall before walking towards where she waited, in front of her wardrobe.

Marie was my mistress and a very demanding one.

"Yes, Marie-sama?" I asked her, making sure to keep my eyes down and my posture submissive.

"Where is my kimono?" She screamed at me, even though we were only a few feet apart.

Not to mention her wardrobe was full of kimonos, which one did she want?

I sighed again. "It's in your wardrobe, Mistress."

"Well, help me put it on, you ungrateful wench!" She swore, her face going red at the bored expression on my own face. "And don't you dare to roll your eyes or sigh at me! You should be grateful that my mother has allowed you to stay." Her hands were on her hips now, her chest moving rapidly as she was panting in her rage. "I would have thrown you out long ago, you useless chit!"

I fought to keep my face expressionless. It wasn't the first time someone had called me by names and said how "useless" and "ungrateful" I was, but it hurt every time.

I knew in a way that she was right, however. I never suffered from hunger as some people in my clan did, neither did I ever lack clothing and a roof over my head.

My clothes might be plain and my job a rough one, but I had received the grand opportunity of learning how to read and write like a lady, I had been able to learn manners with Marie-sama's instructors and had accompanied her to all of her lessons, learning everything that she did, just like a shadow.

I had also learned a few things that she hadn't.

I never understood why I was given such a gift, and it was clear that Marie and her mother hated me for it, but I took all the opportunities that were given to me and did my best to excel in them.

"Yes, Marie-sama." I said, keeping my voice low and flat. It wouldn't do to show her my feelings.

Marie was the daughter and sole heiress to the Sorenson Clan, and it made her into a spoiled child who had never had to work a single day in her life.

It made sense to me that she was like that, thought. Power often corrupted those in their hold, and Marie Sorenson was very powerful.

In our civilization, it is believed that the heirs are the embodiment of a clan's strength, our hope for a future. A clan without one was considered weak and without future, as they would have no one to lead them once their current clan' head died, leaving the clan open for the attack of others.

It was the reason why most clan's heads usually had a lot of children, with many different women. But, sadly, Sorenson-sama had been able to give life to only one daughter.

Which meant our safety was precarious, because if Marie died our clan would be attacked by others seeking our riches.

I walked across the room and retrieved the first kimono that I found in the wardrobe, not paying a lot of attention to which one it was.

They were all high quality, beautiful, elegant pieces, and none of them suited Marie in mine opinion.

Helping my mistress dress up in her latest silk kimono, with a cherry blossom pattern and beautiful embroidery I thought about how Marie had everything a girl would ever wish for while some of the people from our clan suffered from hunger, lack of shelter and money. Not to mention sickness.