Chapter 8. Festivities and punishments

AN: Warning! There is going to be violence in this chapter between Sang and her stepmother. You can skip it if you wish, the scene starts on Sang's POV and ends with it.

Sean's POV:

The next day...

I was preparing myself for the walk to the shrine. I had finally finished my studies to become a doctor and was now to receive my certificate in our clan main shrine, before the statue of our god.

It was a ceremony that our first lord had started when he first founded the Academy clan. All new doctors were to receive their certificates at the shrine, before the whole clan along with a blessing given by the shrine's shaman.

It was a huge honor, and I felt incredibly nervous about standing before my whole clan for my blessing. I hoped I didn't trip or maybe stutter when it came the time for my speech and the prayer.

My hands trembled as I tied the sash on my kimono, God, I was such a mess. Thankfully my family would all be there for me, Owen had managed to clear our schedules for today.

I stepped out of my room and started walking down the long corridor in the direction to the gardens. I needed a walk to calm myself.

Stepping out in the afternoon sun I glanced around myself and walked over to a bench where I sat down, my hands clenched in my lap.

I took a deep breath and closed my eyes, counting to ten in hopes of slowing my speeding heart.

The scent of flowers that reached my nose was unlike any I had smelled in this garden before and my eyes snapped open to see Sang-chan standing a few feet ahead of me.

She stared at me curiously and I was shocked that I had not heard her, but dismissed it for my nervousness and lack of attention at my surroundings.

"Something wrong, Sean-san?" She asked in that sweet voice of hers.

I gave her a charming smile that I suspected didn't hide the nervousness in my eyes. "All is fine, Pumpkin. I am just a little nervous about the ceremony this afternoon."

She stepped closer to me, her usual blue-gray kimono looking far too unsuitable for her cute self. This girl deserved to be dressed in cute and high quality clothes, not in this trash the Sorenson put on her.

She moved like a lady but was dressed in the garb of a peasant. A travesty in my opinion, but who was I to judge?

An orphan unwanted by his parents. A nobody, if not for my brothers and my lord to who I owned my life.

"You are officially becoming a doctor, no?" She asked me.

I nodded at her, "Yes, after years of study and work I am finally receiving my certificate so I can truly heal people." I'd rather heal than kill.

She smiled at me, her green eyes warm, kind, making my nervousness go away in an instant, and a sense of safety and stability took over.

I didn't understand my feelings but didn't question them either. That was more Owen's thing. I just accepted.

She moved her hand to her pocket and removed a piece of candy from it, giving the sweet to me. "Here, a little lucky charm for you as well as a reward for doing well in your ceremony."

I took the candy, knowing that the smile in her face was my real luck charm for today and smiled in thanks at her. Standing up from the bench I watched as she walked away, her behind swaying from side to side gently.

Once her figure was lost among the trees and flowers in the garden I walked out of the house and over to the town's shrine, my shoulders back and chin raised proudly.