70. Family Ties & Weddings (Part 1)

Start from the beginning

Mama Adriana spoke "If you visit us three months later and onwards , you will get freshly squeezed juice from blood orange. That is a specialty from Sicily."

O"Neil spoke "Of course, I remember having blood orange before. I was having a blood orange gelato with Sancia after she said yes to my marriage proposal. Very special fruit. But you know what its like. Where I am from oranges symbolise death."

Arturo turned to him "Really? you believe that oranges symbolise death? Yet, you had an orange flavour gelato when Sancia said she will marry you. Sounds fitting."

O'Neil explained "It was not orange flavour. It was blood orange. There is a difference. You are from Milan, a northern Italian. Don't they ever mistake you here for a Swiss-German?"

Anna turned to O'Neil " My friends mistook you for a German alot actually. She then gave O'Neil a long stare trying to get him to stop." Anna knew the Don did not approve of Arturo already.

O'Neil shrugged " Of course. Arturo is partly German as you know..."

The Don suddenly choked as he was drinking his coffee and spoke "Arturo.... is this true?"

Arturo sighed and turned to the Don "My maternal grandparents are German. But their family name was changed. But I am Italian." He emphasised on the last word.

The Don sighed "I have never met your grandparents and just know they operate their businesses near the Alps in three countries. But I know your mother is honourable..... That is fine then. I do not wish Anna to have to become German or her children to be raised in any culture that may not accept their heritage as Italians."

Arturo nodded "Of course. That is understandable. Sir, I assure you even my German grandparents have closer ties with yours than lets say the Irish businessmen."

The Don turned to O'Neil "Of course. How is business with the Irish at the harbour? Are they becoming restless in any way. Should we expect trouble?"

O'Neil stated honestly "Sir, I know you already know the answer to this question. Otherwise there would be war. My Irish allies are people of peace unless provoked or unless they must defend one of their own." He emphasised on the last words. He knew he was not safe in this place. The Don did not like him. No one beside his own wife did like him. Francesco was an exception. They were both special cases.

The Don smiled " Why would I know the answer to the question I asked you? The Irish are unpredictable. You are at my home but there is nothing stopping you from turning the tables."

O'Neil spoke "But they are loyal.... I assure you I come in peace. I have no reasons to cause havoc. Others might... but not me. Of course I am here for Francesco on business grounds but also Sancia and I are here to pay our respects to the newly engaged couple and offer our congratulations hoping we will be invited to their glorious wedding day." He wrapped his arm around Sancia's waist as he stared at Anna and Arturo with a sweet smile. "They look great together. When is the wedding Arturo? Of course I forgot you need to pass some tests today. I hope you will pass Arturo."

Arturo turned to O'Neil "Thank you. Why don't you tell us some stories about the time you had to pass tests after you asked Sancia's hand in marriage?"

O'Neil let go of Sancia's waist and crossed his arms on his chest "All I can say is that my father in law is an honourable Italian and it was an honour to have a meeting with him. I was enlightened about many duties I had and I learnt so much from the experience."

The Don nodded "Of course. I have respect for the Giovanni family too. Very honourable family."

The rest of the breakfast time went silently for most parts. When the Don finished his breakfast and had his coffee he announced " I need to have a word with Arturo. Ladies please make your way outside."