29. Mob War Erupts ( Part 5)

Francesco spoke impatiently " 30 seconds left Amaranta."

Amaranta was struggling against Costanzo's iron grip on her wrists. She spoke pleadingly as tears were flowing down her cheeks " I don't know. I am not part of my fathers business. I don't know who Ambrogio is working with right now. Why can't you believe me?"

Francesco smiled menacingly " 20 seconds left. Use your words wisely. I will snap your fingers with the most painful way possible. Think fast and give me the answer I want to hear."

Amaranta sobbed silently in response closing her eyes shut.

Francesco sounded amused " By closing your eyes I am not going to go away." He was finding Costanzo's reaction even more amusing. His brother's face looked priceless. He was pale like a chalk but he was trying to keep himself balanced and under control.

As Amaranta opened her eyes, she gulped as she saw Francesco was looking into her eyes with no mercy with his most intimidating stare.

Francesco leaned closer and whispered in her ear " 10 seconds left."

This made Amaranta cringe.

Costanzo automatically took a step backwards but since the bed was behind him, he fell backwards and so did Amaranta.

Francesco chuckled at the sight of Amaranta landing on his brothers lap as Costanzo fell on the bed in seated position. Then he noticed his brothers protective arms holding her waist and pulling her back to his chest whispering to her " Please do as he says."

Francesco shook his head sounding amused " Ah. This is such a mesmerising sight. It's nice that you fancy each other but I am sorry to break up the party." His voice then turned cold and deadly " Costanzo... I don't see a Rosario ring on Amaranta's finger so there is no reason for me consider showing her any special treatment when interrogating her. If Amaranta gets hurt, It's your own fault for being so gutless when it comes to making a woman yours. In my eyes this woman is not yours to protect. You are not permitted to interfere."

Costanzo was torn. He didn't know how to help Amaranta get out of this situation. He didn't have many options. He could do what Antonio was an a expert on and with one blow could knock Amaranta out. Then of course he had to answer to Francesco. It would have bought some time for Amaranta but it wouldn't have saved her. Maybe then Antonio could do something. He was her ex afterall. That made him burn in jealousy thinking of Antonio being with her.

Costanzo didn't know what was wrong with him. Why did he get suddenly upset or rather .... jealous of thinking about Antonio. He shook away the thoughts. What other options did he have? None. Unless he attacked Francesco and knocked him out. As if that was ever going to happen. Even if that was possible, then what was he to do?

Francesco's firm voice brought Costanzo out of his thoughts " Amaranta, your time is up." He then took a step towards Amaranta who was gripped tightly from her waist by Costanzo. Francesco looked at Costanzo daring him to defy him. He could see Costanzo was on edge. He knew his little brother was on brink of pulling a stunt. He didn't mind teaching his brother a lesson.

Francesco instructed roughly " Stand up Costanzo and hold her wrists in place while I break her fingers one by one."

Costanzo was terrified now. If he acted against his brother there was no going back. But something told him, Amaranta was even worth dying for. He didn't mind welcoming death for her, he told himself. He found himself feeling protective of her. He was willing to take a bullet for her even. He had no idea what had come over him to have such peculiar thoughts on this day after all these years that he knew Amaranta. Why now? Costanzo was totally surprised at his sudden urge to protect Amaranta.