22. Bond Between Brothers (Part 2)

Costanzo was sitting on the bed looking at his brother towering over his sitting form. He knew day of reckoning was coming one these days and here it was greeting the Rosarios with open arms. He feeling a mix of emotions. The atmosphere in the room was different to what he was used to. Francesco had come to fire demanding questions at him not as his boss but as his brother. That was rare. But he wished their talk wasn't about what he feared so much.

Francesco spoke in harder tone " I am waiting. I asked you a question. Silence is not what I am after. I want answers."

Costanzo was weighing the situation. Francesco looked at him with emotions he hadn't directed at him for years. It was as though their bond as brothers had suddenly been strengthened for some reason. The pain and suffering that him and Francesco had gone through when they were younger, had made an impact on their bond. It had reunited them to an extent that nothing could break it. Nothing. Not even Francesco's character as a notorious boss of an underworld criminal organisation hadn't suppressed that part of Francesco that he reserved for his closest family member that he actually cared so immensely for but hardly ever displayed any emotions for.

Costanzo didn't really want to answer Francesco's question. He was afraid to. So he tried to take an approach to divert the topic or dance around it with his words for a while buying himself time to think.

Costanzo thought hard and then when he sensed Francesco was about to lose his patience he finally spoke finally "You are the decider. Why do you ask me to respond to this question you have answers to and you don't really need my input for." He hoped to avoid the topic as long as possible. Whether if was only for seconds or minutes... It didn't matter. It was worth a try.

Francesco spoke "Costanzo. Don't give me that nonsense. I have come to you in the middle of the night for a reason. I am not in the habit of repeating myself. I need to hear your take on this matter. I need it right now. Tonight. I demand it. I want to hear your view so I also know where I am standing and more importantly find out where you are going to stand."

Costanzo knew Francesco meant to convey to him that he had to take a side and he couldn't be neutral but Costanzo was trying to put off the discussion by any means.

Costanzo spoke "You stand where you have stood for years, as a leader, a judge and an executer. I am standing in my rightful place as the observer and administrator of your orders. I have no part in your line of work aside from watching and following orders."

Francesco spoke "Who's fault is that? You chose this pathetic path in your life. Not me. Now I want you to act like a Rosario and stand up for both of us. Speak your mind about this topic"

Costanzo spoke "Why do you bring me into this?.... Why are you doing this? What's the reason you come to ask me about what I feel about this forbidden topic? You do this even though you know how you have drilled into me all these years that I am not to get in your way when you go after your long overdue revenge. It was always a question of "when" rather than " if" for you to settle your score with those whom wronged us. Your vendetta with them is a special quest always envisioned by you. I never had any part in what you envisioned in your mind. You always told me to stay clear of your path if you went after the guilty ones that messed up our lives. Why do you ask me for any opinion right now when you have a crystal clear of what you wish to do already that was formed in your mind years ago and adjusted as time went by. I really don't get why you need to hear how i feel. Why should we have this talk?" He then stood up looking into his brothers eyes.

Francesco spoke "You ask why?...,,,, Costanzo. I ask you about how you feel about this particular revenge mission because you were there with me when father destroyed our childhood years. You suffered just like how I did all those years so how can you say that you don't get why I am having this talk with you. I know why you are trying to keep away from interfering in this matter. You don't think its your place to voice what you feel. You think you don't want to make me furious with your pathetic peaceful suggestions. You think I am the one who has suffered most. You still feel in debt to me since I took many beatings for you. I was your shield against everything that father threw at us on many occasions but you are too forgiving that you don't want to look at your own scars too. It is you who also they hurt. I feel strongly about this and so should you. We need closure Costanzo ...."