49. Got lie detectors in my head

Cristiano listened to her address the class and frowned, this is a class? He had been a good learner in his school days but he had always disliked school and studies

Cristiano listened to her address the class and frowned, this is a class? He had been a good learner in his school days but he had always disliked school and studies. The teachers were usually horrible and he had to do a lot of self-study in his junior years because there was no one at home who could really help him. This is why he had always felt college would be hella tough but Zarine here was talking about something called post-structuralism and it was actually making sense to him.

She was a natural at this, he could see that. The students listened to her and she engaged well with the class, giving examples, cracking jokes. And I thought I was protecting her from working too hard. I was so wrong, she clearly enjoys this. It's like she is a footballer of academics and to take her away from this would have been cruel, just like I would feel if someone tried to pull me out of the World Cup or something. Hell, people did try and they did because they thought it was the best for me and I didn't listen, I played because even though it's fucking hard work, I love my job. And she loves her. And I get it.

The bell rang shrilly nearly blasting his eardrums, making him wince and jump. This was it. And he was scared but he let out a breath as he often did before critical penalties, telling himself what he always told himself in those situations-I can do this, I have to do this.

The students were taking forever to move out, slowly packing their books, cracking jokes and sleepily leaving the class. With astonishment, he saw Zarine getting ready to leave her desk and walk out too. A few students were lingering still but Cristiano could wait no longer. He walked inside and a boy who was walking out gave him a weird look.

A student had stopped Zarine and was probably clearing some doubts. She left saying, "Thank you, ma'am."

"No problem, Juliya," Zarine said, and he could hear her characteristic smile in her voice. She pulled the clasp on her slingbag and turned around.

"Hey," Cris greeted her sheepishly, looking at the floor quickly, avoiding her gaze.

She stepped back with surprise, "Cristiano!?"