• ga t e c r a s h e r •

Start from the beginning

I watched myself over and over at the mirror. There wasn't a single thing wrong about me right now. I'm just skeptical about how things may go about tonight. It is not my party but I'm worried as sick.

• • •

I didn't put any make up since it is a masquerade party. I just put on a lip color and curled my hair. I'm not really good with making styles on my own because after all I believe it wasn't a way of living.

Straightening the long red gown I am wearing, I put on the mask I bought earlier. I ran a finger at the corners of the mask. And then, I remembered that guy on the store and what he told me. I would really like to believe it. What's wrong in believing it for once?

I shook my head and let out a deep sigh. This is hilarious. I shouldn't be thinking of this at my bestfriend's birthday. I should be thinking of how to make her smile tonight.

No wonder Phoebe is really a gorgeous girl. Her family is a wealthy family and they have a lot of possessions. Plus she is the only girl in the family. That makes her parents treat her like a princess in their huge mansion. And that guy who captured her heart is real lucky to have my bestfriend. And I swear, I'll literally throw plates on his face once she'd come running and crying saying somebody just broke her heart. I never wanted her to experience what I've been through.

I gasped in awe as soon as I stepped inside the mansion. I scanned the place and all I could see are huge chandeliers and spiral carpeted stairs. The mansion was transformed into more different setup. I didn't know they have a house here in New York.

I could see a lot of decor and wreaths on every corner of the mansion. Loud beats of music was all I could hear and all vague sounds the people make. All are dressed in gowns and tux with a mask on their faces. There aren't any signs of familiar voices especially I couldn't see their faces.

Everyone stopped and was stunned to see Phoebe walk down the stairs. She wore a silver gown which is styled in laces and a beautiful pendant wrapped around her neck. Her hair is also fashioned the way a princess woud look like. To top it all, she is simple but elegant tonight. Whatever clothes she wear, she would always stand out.

Everyone applauded and that didn't failed to show any signs of her being glad to have us tonight. The program goes on like the usual birthday celebration one would likely have.

"Hey, Lauren! Thanks for coming!" She pulled me into a hug and planted a soft kiss in my cheek.

"You're gorgeous, Phoebe. Happy 20th birthday!" I greeted as I hand out my gift for her.

"Aw, thank you. Are you enjoying the party so far?" She fixed her gown, obviously sliding down a little.

"Happy birthday, princess."

"After party it is!"

"Thanks, guys!"

She have a lot of friends passing by and greeting her every second. She's still the same person I knew, my bestfriend.

"You can actually remove that mask in there that's hiding your beauty. Come on, let me introduce you to a guy I know," she pulled my wrist.

"Um... Phoebe, it's fine. I'll finish my dessert."

She heaved a sigh, "Okay, promise me you'll never make yourself alone at this moment. You know, mingle, talk, enioy?"

"Of course, I will. You seem to have a lot of friends and visitor waiting in each table. Go and don't spend your time babysitting me," I laughed.