11

Reed looked at me for approval. "What? Go on ahead." I motioned him on. Reed giggled and caught up with Ashley. Ashley was actually faster, but Reed was all smiles. It felt good to see him like this. I stayed back, because normally I hate to be a third wheel.

They looked so happy together. Laughing and playing like a perfect couple. They couldn't be this happy for long, though. I learned the truth. That humanity would be wiped out.
Stop thinking so negatively, I thought to myself. A smile creeped up my cheeks. A forced one? Maybe. But for right now I just want to be happy.

Ashley beamed at me. "Cmon Johanna, its not fun without you!" I smiled at her and called out, "Yeah, I'll catch up!" I pretended to jog, but followed from a distance. We reached the end of the trail to find a crowd of panicked people. My smile faded.

They were crowded around something. I found a way through the crowd and slipped through an open space. It was a tv. A public news tv. A young reporter spoke into a microphone. "This is a flash flood warning." The camera showed footage of a swirling typhoon. "The hurricane has already made its way to other places, now its said to come our way." The man continued.

I shook my head. "Come on Reed. Ashley. Lets go." We all walked back and Ashley drove us home. I watched from a distance when my brother got pulled over by Ashley. "Thanks Ashley. I had a great time. And your such a fun person to be around." I couldn't hear her reply, but soon enough I saw that Ashley had pulled Reed into a kiss. As Reed walked back, it started to rain. When he approached me, he was grinning from ear to ear.

"She gives me butterflies. Lets go inside before this rain ruins my hair." He blushed. I smacked him on the shoulder. "Its already messed up." We walked inside and I collapsed on the couch, cradling a bag of chips. I wanted to take off my shoes and take them to my room.

"Don't touch my chips, you hear?" I poked Reed. He saluted me. "Yes ma'am." I was too lazy to put my shoes in the right place, so I threw them across the room. I cringed when they split directions, knocking over stuff. Wow, what a messy room. Who cares, its the apocalypse!

I wasn't very surprised to find Reed guiltily cramming five chips in his mouth. "Hey!" I tackled him to the floor. "Give me my chips!"

We wrestled for the bag. Reed teased me with them, holding them out of reach, high above my head. "Mmm. Mouth-watering barbecue, lightly salted. This is delicious. You need to buy me some of this stuff!" Reed loudly crunched on my chips.

Mom watched from the doorway, shaking her head. "You guys are just like kids." Her lips curled into an evil smile. Reed turned to her. "Hey Mom, you want some of Johanna's chips? There's plenty more!" Mom laughed evilly. "How tempting.. Oh maybe I'll take a few." She said, grabbing handfulls. "Noo!" I cried. "My precious chips!"

Reed rolled his eyes. "We'll call the neighbors, so they can have some. We wouldn't want them to miss out on this." Mom narrowed her eyes at me. "Oh, I don't know, Jo. You can have..one." I laid out on the couch and put a pillow over my head. I could hear Reed and Mom still laughing. "Ha ha ha. You can have all the chips you want!" I yelled.