"So what's your excuse for being cranky?" Dean abandoned the door, leaving it open for a quick exit. She thought that it was more for his benefit than hers. He walked over to his desk, pushing aside books about ancient curses and perching himself on the edge. 

"Normally in this type of situation, I'd say that my little friend had arrived and I was bleeding more than a murder victim but I want to be truthful. It's not often that I am, sometimes it's refreshing to be," she tucked some of her hair behind her ear, nervously flattening the wild locks. "When someone says to me, 'you're not trust worthy', I always think of my mom. When I was fifteen, I was meant to be looking after Ruby. My parents had left to go hunt a nest of vampires, and I don't know how they found out where we were but they did, and at the time I was making scrambled egg. These vamps crash through the window, and before I can react one of them is chowing down on my sister." Ebony's eyes gleamed, and she dug her nails into her palms, hoping the pain will make her stop. "By the time I can kill them my sister is nearly dead, and my parents come home. They screamed blue murder when they saw her, and my dad cradled her dying body as my mom turned to me. 'We can't trust you. You can't protect even your sister, how can you protect the world? You're not trust worthy.' That's what she said, and was the last thing she said to me before she drove down to a crossroads and reserved herself a place in hell." 

Dean stayed silent, taking all the information in. "Couldn't they have tried to heal her the normal way?"

Her voice was thick, and Dean realised he felt empathy for this girl. "They couldn't exactly stitch up half a ripped throat and pump her full of blood. We needed a miracle, and with no God to save her, we turned to his rebellious son."

He tucked his hands into his pockets, turning to Ebony. "Why are you telling me this?" 

"I want you to know that I'm not just some girl with psychotic thoughts who throws the occasional anger fit. That I'm one of the worlds most complex creations, with so many layers I've lost count. I want you to know that what I do, I do because I have a reason that makes sense to me, not because I'm some ruthless killer. I want you to know that even the worst sins I've committed, and will commit, are not random acts. And I'd like you to understand that." 

"Is your speech over?" Dean remarked, rolling his shoulders back. 

"I think," she commented, cracking a tiny smile. 

"Good, because I forgave your apology about ten minutes ago. I wanted to see how long you'd natter on for." 

"Wow, you're such a jester, you should get employed by the king for entertainment." 

"This is what I keep telling people!" He exclaimed, and they laugh together. It almost seemed as though this was something they'd been doing for years, arguing, making jokes and being friends. To any outsider it'd seem that they were just friends, and not unspoken enemies. 

Time flew by, and when she asked Dean for the time she felt her heart contract. She said she'd meet her date in two hours and she didn't even have a ride yet. "I have a favour to ask Dean." 

 "Great, where's the body I need to bury?" 

"Hilarious," she shoved his shoulder. "In all seriousness, I need your help." 

"Okay, ask away." He rose his arms behind his head, leaning back in that 'cool guy' manner. 

"I need a ride to a dinner in two hours, and I was wondering if you'd like to do the honours of being the taxi driver."

"No, do I look like I have time to drive you to your play date?" Ebony comically looked around her, searching for anything Dean could be doing. Once her search was over, she stared him in the eyes.