Thirty-Five

One month after returning from Solitude, Bryn and I gathered the whole Guild in the Flagon to tell them the news of our child. They received as well as could be expected. Delvin had immediately called for the celebratory mead and wine to be brought out. Niruin, Thrynn, and Vipir called for a toast in our honor. Almost everyone came up to us and congratulated us, saying just how happy they were for us.

"Okay, 'old on," said Del as he leaned back in his seat, a mug of ale in his hands. "So you knew you were carryin' an ankle-biter when ya got back from your 'oneymoon, and you didn't say nothin'?"

Bryn and I smiled at the old codger. "Yes," I said, holding my glass of water to my lips, "but we didn't want to tell anyone until after we decided who was going to be the godparents."

Del sat up in his seat a little higher. "Well, naturally, you musta picked me as godfather."

I gave him a sheepish glance. "Well, actually...."

Delvin's face fell in an instant. "Not me? Then who?"

"We picked... Etienne."

From across the Flagon, I heard someone spitting mead out of their mouth. I turned to the noise and found Etienne pounding a fist against his chest, and Cynric giving Etienne a death glare. Apparently, when Etienne spat out his mead, he spat it all over Cynric.

"Did I hear you right, Femke?" asked Etienne, eyes watering as he coughed a couple times. "You want... me to be your kid's godfather?"

"Yes," said Brynjolf. "It wasn't an easy choice, but we figured Del would be more like a weird uncle to our little one—"

Delvin shot Bryn an incredulous look. "Oi!"

Bryn ignored the shout and continued, "... and so we decided that you would be a better choice."

The look on his face could only be described as surprise. "That's...." He smiled at the pair of us. "Thank you. That's quite an honor."

"Who's the godmother?" asked Vex, grinning smugly at Delvin, who had gone back to nursing his ale.

I rested my hand on my slightly swollen stomach. "Karliah is. Hope you're not offended."

Vex shrugged. "I'd rather not be responsible for the kid if something happens to you and Bryn. Etienne and Karliah can have that responsibility. I don't want any of it."

I scoffed at her. "Alrighty then."

"When's it due?" asked Etienne.

"According to the Riften healer, the first part of Rain's Hand."

"I've heard that spring babies are the sweetest," said Ton from across our table. "Or was the most troublesome?"

"Considerin' who its father is, I bet it'll be troublesome regardless," said Del. "Bryn always was a sneaky little ankle-biter."

"Better than being a crusty old bloodhound," said Bryn. "Surprised you remember so much about me, considering how drunk you were all the time."

"Watch it, boy. This codger can still tear ya a new one."

Bryn scoffed and brought his tankard to his lips. "Sure you can, old goat."

"How'd Karliah take the news?" asked Vex, ignoring the little spat between Bryn and Del.

"Well. She's happy for us, and she said she's honored to be the godmother."

"Now, say you 'ave more kids," began Delvin, once again sitting straight in his chair. "Would ya pick a different set of godparents?"