Twenty-Eight

I had never been so happy to see the damp stone walls in the Cistern before.

I barely made it to my bed before I collapsed. My feet ached, my fingers hurt, and my eyes were only seconds away from shutting. I lay back on my bed, legs stretched out and arms behind my head. Oh, sweet rest, I welcome you.

Well, I would welcome sweet rest, except a certain idiot decided to interrupt my yet-to-begin nap.

"Well, lass, how'd it go?" He sat down next to me, that stupid grin on his face.

"Ask me this time next year, Bryn, and leave me alone." I rolled over and pulled my pillow over my head. "I'm exhausted."

"I can imagine. We received word from Olfrid. He said that the whole city was on the lookout for an assassin who tried to kill Jarl Balgruuf. It was said the assassin was male, but the guards couldn't tell, because the assailant wore a black cape and cowl. Sound familiar?"

"Bryn, please. That mission was a success, and no one died. Please don't bring it up."

"What happened, lass?"

"Nothing. Nothing happened. They couldn't catch me. I'm all right."

"Why would you say you're all right if nothing happened? What aren't you telling me?"

I stayed quiet. I was tired, and I didn't want him to know just how disastrous this mission almost was. I had already told myself I wouldn't ever tell Bryn what happened. If he knew, he would never let me leave the Cistern again.

About five minutes of tense silence later, Bryn let out a defeated sigh. "All right. You don't have to tell me. You're tired, I can tell, and you need rest. But before you get too comfortable, I just thought I would tell you that Maven was asking for you. She said she has something for you, and that she needed to see you as soon as possible."

I sat up, finally looking at Bryn again. "Maven needs me? Is it a job?"

"She didn't say, and you know I don't ask questions."

I put my hand on his shoulder, kneading my fingers into the rough leather a little bit. He looked so worn. Like he was far more burdened than when I left. "Are you okay?"

Bryn let his head fall into his hands. "Truth be told, Femke, I'm exhausted. This leadership thing...." He shook his head a little. "I'm out of my element. I'm no leader."

I leaned closer and planted a kiss to his shoulder, right on the spot I had been rubbing. "It's not forever. When the Guild gets stronger, it'll be my turn to take over. Don't be so hard on yourself, and you'll survive until it's time for me to take your place."

He smiled at me a little, the worry in his face going away for a moment. "What did I do to deserve you?"

I returned his smile, and entwined our fingers. "You took me in when no one else would. If not for you, I would've died."

He traced his thumb over my knuckles, gaze locked on our conjoined hands. "Lass, when you finish talking with Maven, there's something I need you to do."

"Oh? Is it urgent?"

"No, I just need you to meet with me outside the Barb. I'll explain more later."

"Is everything all right, Bryn?"

He stood up and straightened his cuirass. "Aye, it's okay. No need to worry, lass." He smiled a little. "You'd best not keep Maven waiting."

"Yeah, I know. I haven't forgotten how angry she was with me the last time."

After Bryn left, I headed straight for Maven's home beside the marketplace. It was early evening, so I hoped that she and her family wouldn't be in the middle of their meal when I came to call. If they were, I was sure to get a reprimand for interrupting their dinner.