Six

I heard that Maven was waiting in the Barb, so I headed straight there. The Argonion man that helped out Keerava, Talen-Jei, glared at me as I entered. "You have some nerve coming back here after what you did to Keerava."

I rolled my eyes and crossed my arms, careful to keep my hand off my wounded bicep. "Look, I'm not here to cause trouble. I just want to talk to Maven Black-Briar. Where is she?"

"Upstairs, waiting for someone. I assume it's you."

"Thanks." I headed for the stairs.

I found Maven sitting in a chair, hidden by the back wall. I came into her line of sight, and she right away started looking me up and down, scrutinizing. "So you're the one." She pursed her lips. "Hmm. You don't look so impressive."

I crossed my arms again. I don't look so impressive? After I singlehandedly infiltrated Goldenglow Estate, burned down three hives, raided Aringoth's safe, and made it out of there with only a cut on my arm to show for it? What was this woman's deal? I swallowed my pride, though. After all, I did not want to wind up with a dagger stabbed into my back and my body dumped into the canal. That did not mean I could not do a little—ah, shall we say—humble bragging. "I'm the best at what I do."

Maven raised a single, perfectly groomed brow. "Is that confidence I hear, or is it arrogance? Strange how often they're confused." Her expression softened, albeit only in the slightest. "You have to understand, it's been a long time since Brynjolf's sent me anyone I can rely on."

"You have no faith in the Guild?"

"Faith? I don't have faith in anyone. All I care about is cause and effect. Did the job get done, and was it done correctly. There's no gray area."

I nodded. "Understood. Where do I begin?"

"Head to the Bannered Mare in Whiterun and look for Mallus Maccius. He'll fill you in on all the details."

"I assume I need to head there as soon as possible?"

"That would be preferable. So get going."

I nodded again and headed for the door.

"One more time, in case I didn't make myself clear," Maven said behind me, "you butcher this job, and you'll be sorry."

I stiffened, but said nothing and continued on my way out of the inn.

It was nearly midnight, I was exhausted, and Maven told me to leave as soon as possible. Well, "as soon as possible" would just have to be in the morning, because there was no way I was traveling on an empty stomach and weary feet.

I entered the Cistern and headed straight for the nearest table. I sat down on the long bench and laid my forehead on my arms. Should I have rented a room at the Barb, since I had no idea where I was supposed to stay down here? No one had shown me where to lay my head, or if I even had a place to do that.

"You know," a kind voice said behind me, "you don't have to sleep at the table. There's a bed for you."

I turned to see the Breton I had met earlier, Etienne Rarnis, standing behind me. His brown leather hood had been pulled down, and his brushed blond hair fell neatly to his shoulders. He gave me a gentle grin and laid a hand on my shoulder.

I shook my head and sat up straight. "I don't know where it is."

"I'll show you." He sidestepped once, holding his hand out towards the sleeping area. "If you'll follow me...."

I smiled and stood up, letting him lead me to one of the few open beds. He kicked the chest at the foot of it. "Just place your belongings in there. No one will touch them."