Epilogue

I lay on my warm bed beside the crackling fireplace. I rested my hands on my blanket-covered belly, stroking my palm over the curve gently, my voice crooning a soft, sweet lullaby.

The doors on the other side of the bedroom swung open, and Brynjolf stepped inside. On his face was his signature smile, and in his arms was our little girl. She had a huge smile on her face as well, her deep green eyes sparkling like emeralds.

"Have a good time at the market, Fai?" I asked as she jumped from Bryn's arms and ran to my bedside.

"Oh, yes, Mama! Daddy took me by Madesi's stall, and he bought me this!" In her little fist, she held a silver locket. It matched her earring—which looked almost exactly like my own—quite well. "Isn't it pretty?"

"Very pretty." I tucked a lock of her ebony hair behind her ear, then cast a suspicious glance at Bryn. "And what did he use to pay for it?"

"No need to worry, my dear," said Brynjolf as he sauntered into the room. "It was just an early birthday present for her."

"You spoil her too much."

He sighed, reclined on the bed next to me, and wrapped his big arms around me. He nuzzled his face into my neck, breath hot against my skin. "And what's wrong with me spoiling my little girl?"

I stroked Fai's hair as she curled up beside me. She reached her hand over my belly and grabbed Bryn's fingers. "Mama, will you sing a song?"

"I was singing a song to the babies when you came in." I smiled down at her as she laid her head on my stomach. "Can you believe you're going to be a big sister?"

"No, Mama." She picked her head up. "Are you really having twins?"

I nodded. "Yes, Fai."

"I hope they're both boys."

Bryn chuckled, sitting up and leaning against the headboard. "Twin boys, little Fai? Why would you want two brothers?"

"Because girls are silly."

Bryn snorted. "Let's hope Nocturnal gives your mother plenty of patience if they're both boys, then."

I shook my head, laughing under my breath. "And let's hope your father realizes that they're his children, too."

Fai laughed with me. "Don't worry, Mama. I'll help you take care of them."

I smiled at her, cupping my hand to her cheek. She was such a precious girl. Mischievous as the day was long, but still so innocent. "Come here, little one. Let me sing you a song."

She smiled, curled against my side again, and laid her head on my shoulder.

With Bryn rubbing his hand over the curve of my belly, and Fai nestling under my arm, I began to sing again, feeling a great surge of warmth in my heart. I had everything I could have ever wanted. A stable job, a wonderful home, a beautiful daughter, and a loving husband. I had two more children on the way, and I was surrounded by people who cared about me.

Five years ago, I had nothing. I had no home. I had no money. I had no friends. I never even dreamed I would find this sort of stability. All of that changed that day in the rain. The day that a certain redheaded thief happened by a starving hybrid and decided to show her some charity. The day he carried her through the gates of a city that had turned her out because of what she was, and refused to listen when others told him he was a fool for wasting his coin on a starving wench.

I had pondered the circumstances of our meeting many times over the years, and every time I had come to the same conclusion: fate brought us together. Fate led Bryn and me down that path. Without fate, we never would have met. I would have starved to death on the side of the road, and Bryn would have been none the wiser about the woman who would have become not only the new Guild Master, but also his wife and the mother of his children.

As I lay there, surrounded by the people I loved most in my life, I knew in my heart that, while life could be cruel sometimes, it could also be generous. While I had suffered as a young woman, all the bad in my life was drowned out by the good I now had. I leaned over, kissing the top of Fai's head, then turned and pressed my lips to Bryn's. He smiled into the kiss, then gently pulled away.

"Everything all right, lass?" he asked, calloused hand caressing my cheek.

"Of course." I settled back down, snuggling into Bryn while hugging Fai to my side. "Everything is perfect."

The End