Thirty-One

Brynjolf

My first thought in the morning was of her. The way she fit perfectly against my body—as if we were made for each other—the way her hair fanned on the pillow beneath her head, the way her fingers interlaced with mine as she slept, invaded every waking moment.

I sat up a little and kissed her cheek. She smiled in her sleep and nestled deeper under the warm covers. I brushed a stray lock of hair from her face, savoring the look of peace on her face. She never looked this peaceful when she was awake.

It was for that reason that I did not wake her when I crawled out of bed. I let her sleep as I got dressed in my Guild armor. We had been in Solitude for three days now, and we had hardly done anything. That is, until I had caught wind of a certain official who needed a job done. A job which required the skills of a thief. Since Femke and I were here, I decided to take the job rather than let someone else from the Guild take it.

Besides, I thought to myself as I strapped on my boots, Femke and I have the rest of today and tomorrow to spend with one another. I'll be back before she even wakes up.

But, just because I was cautious at heart, I wrote a quick letter and left it on the nightstand beside her, explaining that I had left to take care of a short bit of business and would be back soon.

I secured my bandolier across my chest and walked back to the bed, where my wife had yet to even stir. I smirked down at her, leaning forward and pressing a gentle kiss to her cheek.

"Sleep well, lass," I whispered. "I'll be back soon."

She still did not move. I suppressed a snort and walked towards the door. Nocturnal bless her. Poor thing would wind up getting herself killed because she could sleep through anything.

The inn downstairs was quiet when I came down the stairs. A couple of rich-looking patrons ate breakfast near the fire. The bartender polished pewter mugs. The bard sat at a corner table, warming up her voice for later. No one paid me any mind as I left, which I liked. Made things easier.

The sun had risen, but still could not be seen over the walls. Dew still sparkled on the small patches of grass within the walls. A few citizens milled about, but all had sleepy looks on their faces. Perhaps the people of Solitude were used to sleeping later than those of us from Riften.

I ignored the funny looks and whispers as I passed through the square. I headed straight for the Blue Palace. I had heard that Erikur, one of the Thanes, had a home right next to the Palace itself, and I could find him in one of those two places. I would stop by his home first. I doubted that the guards outside the Blue Palace would take too kindly to a thief like me just waltzing inside like I owned the place.

Luckily, I found Erikur just leaving his home. He seemed startled by me; he jerked backwards, hand over his chest. After he realized I meant him no harm, he relaxed and straightened his fine robes, hands running all over the expensive cloth and fur. As if his clothes had been mussed by the little twitch he gave when he saw me.

I scoffed. Gods, nobles are insufferable.

"I assume you're the one your Guild sent?" he asked, a suspicious look on his face.

"Aye, I am. Best they could send."

"Save the bragging for later, if you do a good job for me."

"You can expect nothing less of me, sir. Shall we get down to business?"

"Well, you're at least professional." He clasped his hands in front of him. "Nothing raises my ire more than having an agreement broken. It's bad for business and it wastes time. Captain Volf of the Dainty Sload has decided to test my patience on this matter by neglecting to honor a trade agreement we had established."