Chapter 21

Chapter 21

The school courtyard was decorated very formally. Outside the archway into the stone squared yard, there was a black carpet that stretched from the marble stairs to the center of the courtyard. All along the walls, there were black and white banners across the wall, along with streamers which made their way down to the pavement. The sky was a dark brown with hints of dark blue. The moon shone through the grey sky that blended into the dark skies.

The music wasn't just ordinary music. The school didn't have a rock band, a DJ, nor did it have a radio. In the center of the courtyard, there was an orchestra. Everybody in the orchestra was wearing black and white suits. They were many instruments such as violins, cellos, violas, and pretty much any other instrument that belonged in an orchestra. There was only one person singing in a nice gown that matched the theme of the dance. As the person was singing some song past her time, Maddie walked down the stairs and entered the courtyard.

Maddie grabbed herself a glass from the servers. She reached inside her bag and pull out a container filled with liquor, she need it. She poured the drink into the glass and sipped her drink. That began to loosen herself up a little bit; she couldn't exactly catch that creep being all tightened up. She looked around herself and saw only black, white, and masks. It could be anybody at this point. If she would've had the disc, then this could've solved her issue. She just had to lose the disc, but she preferred the idea of it being stolen. She thought about another quick sip of her drink.

"I hope that's water, Ms. Mason," some voice said next to her. Maddie looked over and saw Holbrook standing right next to her, mask off and in his hand. He started smiling and Maddie handed over the container for him to sip from. She felt bad for how she treated him back in September, it was wrong. After all, it was her godfather. It made her rethink to what she was back in her old school with her old friends.

"Totally," Maddie joked. Holbrook laughed and gave the container back to her. "You do realize this is a masquerade party, Mr. Holbrook?"

"I took off this mask to let you know where I stand in alliances," Holbrook said, hinting at something. Crap, she thought to herself.

"How did you know?" Maddie whispered to him.

"You're not very discreet with your actions, and with your weapons belt."

"Did you come here alone?" Maddie asked him.

"Jessie Rollins."

Maddie nodded her head at the name. Jessie Rollins was her aunt. She knew that the two of them dated back when they were in high school, but she didn't know that they got back together. How did they even break the law to stay together? That was the bigger question. "I didn't know you guys were a thing. Isn't that against the law?"

"Jessie convinced your father and President Lancaster that she wasn't a teenager anymore. She was able to create her own life and if they have a problem with it, take it up with my pack. The Council is smart enough to know it's dangerous to kill a pack leader."

Maddie looked at him and nodded her head. If it was only that easy for her to do. She was still a minor, and Tyler Mason's daughter. "Aren't you worried though that they might try to harm you or her?"

"Maddie, in life you'll learn this," Holbrook began. "Not everything is a make it or break it moment. Sometimes love is worth more than just a stupid corrupt council. When I became a wolf, The Hunter's Council completely cut me off and it was best thing to ever happen to me. I got to do what I wanted, and I got to date whoever I wanted to date. I got to go to college and get my degree. Fighting sometimes is worth the cause."