Chapter 19

Chapter 19

She looked up at the clear sky, digesting everything that has happened this past year. It's been two weeks since everything happened, and Luke had been avoiding her. Maddie had no idea why he was. Every time she tried to talk to him, he'd come up with some ridiculous excuse and abruptly walk away from her. It was like that he read that file and stopped talking to her. It was odd. It was like the first day she met him; he was rude and abrasive to her. She wondered what in the file made him just disconnect her from his life. She thought that maybe it was because James tried to kill him because of her, but James was no longer a threat. Nick took care of him.

            Nick never fully explained where James went, but he didn't have to because Maddie knew where James went. He was sent to Black Chapel to go on trial for attempting to break the treaty between hunters and vampires, and on trial for treason. Luke wasn't allowed in the building for the trial, but Maddie was; however, she didn't go because the thought of seeing James made her sick to her stomach. She couldn't understand why so many hunters were so cruel to vampires or other demon-blood creatures.  They were people before they got their demon disease. Maddie was also one of them, being the doppelgänger and everything.

            The past few days, Holbrook had been keeping tabs on Maddie about how she was and what he found about Annabeth. He had her diary, and he was reading it to see what he could find about what Daniel meant about an eclipse.

            Maddie's phone buzzed, ruining the calm sensation that ran throughout her body. Maddie groaned, rolled her eyes, and picked up her phone. It had to be a text from Holbrook. Speak of the devil, she thought. She unlocked her phone and opened her message. There was an attachment which told her read when she was alone. It had to be important otherwise he wouldn't have said that. Maddie looked around, saw nobody near her, and opened up the file. It was a picture of a girl with fiery red hair with long locks filled with curls. She had dark emerald eyes along with defined eyebrows. She had a round face, matching her perfect round nose. Her face looked very familiar. It was like she'd met this girl before. At the bottom of the picture, there was a name. It was Annabeth Magellan. Maddie's stomach began to sink as her mind was all over the place. Now that she closely examined the picture, Annabeth looked exactly like her. The only difference between them was the hair. Maddie's hair was straight, golden blonde with a black streak, meanwhile Annabeth's was red and curly. What bothered her the most was that Maddie's hair was naturally curly.

            Maddie felt her palms become sweaty, almost dropping he phone in the process of running back to her dorm. She felt like she had to faint. She thought that all the pictures of Annabeth were burned in the fire back in the eighties. If this person found this picture, there could very well be more that haven't been found yet. Maddie had to google more about her. She needed to find and get rid of the pictures before somebody finds them before her or Holbrook. Maddie grabbed her bag and felt her phone buzz in her hand. Maddie unlocked her phone as she walked towards her dorm. She opened the text, causing her whole body to freeze in place.

            Getting nervous over there, Annabeth? —that's what the text said.  Maddie felt her stomach flip upside down as if somebody tied her upside down by her feet. Somebody was watching, and she was sure it wasn't James. She couldn't move her legs. She was literally paralyzed in fear that the person who killed her doppelgänger was coming after her. The text wasn't even from somebody she knew. It was from a blocked number. Maddie turned her phone off and practically took off into the dormitory, pushing every boy and girl out of her way until she reached her dorm. Every ten seconds, she would look back to see if somebody was trailing her. She didn't care who it was, she wanted that person dead. Deader than dead. As dead as person can be, and she wanted to be the one to kill him, her, or it.