Chapter 1

Chapter 1

May, 2011

I sat on the edge of my bed, looking around as boxes littered the room. I held back a cry of anger and instead kicked a box that lay in front of me. Things rattled around inside the box but I didn’t move to check and see if I had broken anything.

The moving was always the hardest part.

Every year we move states, not staying in one place long enough to know anybody but memories collect like dust on a window pane. At first I thought moving was fun, but that was when I was six, when I chased butterflies around the garden and thought the moon followed my car.

 “Willow! Have you finished packing?” My mum shouted from downstairs, her voice echoing throughout the house. I stood up and sighed whilst running my hand through my golden blonde hair before calling out, “yeah.”

“Jane! Are you ready?” I heard my mum call to my younger sister. “Yes!” She called back in a small voice. “Flynn?” My mum yelled, addressing my younger brother. “Yep!” He shouted back. Silence followed and the house seemed empty. “You’re lying!” My mum replied making the corners of my mouth curl up into a grin.

Flynn and Jane are twins; they’re only nine, though Jane keeps reminding Flynn that she’s a minute older. They look the same with their brown curls and evil grins, but their personalities are completely opposite. While Flynn prefers to cause mischief, Jane has her head stuck in a book.

With one last look around my room, I grabbed my bag off the floor and headed towards the door. Downstairs, my mum was tutting and shaking her head as she stood at the foot of the stairs. Her light brown hair was swept up into a messy bun and her brown eyes looked tired. “Do you mind walking Jane and Flynn to school?” She asked as she turned to face me.

I grabbed an apple out of the fruit bowl and took a bite, “nope.” She gave me a small smile before looking up the stairs, “Flynn Tyler Mason you get down here!”

Flynn raced down the stairs followed closely by Jane, they were inseparable.

“Give me your hand.” My mum ordered in a calm voice. Reluctantly, Flynn extended his hand, revealing two studded earrings. “Now give Jane back her earrings.” Flynn, who was red with guilt, turned and handed his twin the earrings.  

“I wish you can’t tell when I lie...” Flynn muttered bitterly. “And I wish you moved to get things rather than moving things with your mind.” She retorted ruffling his already messy brown hair. “We’re going to be late for school!” Jane complained as she grabbed her bag off the bench and ran towards the door. “I’ll pick you up at one!” My mum called out just as I closed the door.

“Jane, what’s wrong?” I asked as Jane’s hands shook, she looked up at me with her big brown eyes. “What if I disintegrate something again, I can’t help it!” Her bottom lip trembled and I stopped walking before placing my arms on her shoulders. “You will if you keep thinking like that.” I told her, my voice steady. “But if you’re so worried-“ I reached into my bag and pulled out a small pair of black gloves, big enough to fit her tiny hands. I had them just in case she got into trouble. She smiled as she pulled on the gloves, flexing her fingers as she did.

“Do you have any presents in there for me?” Flynn asked as he peered into my bag. “You can control your powers, some of us can’t.” I told him, whacking him playfully on the arm.

“Oh Willow!” Jane moaned before clinging onto my arm, “they better not hurt you today or I will turn them to ash!” I frowned, each day I was stared at or avoided because of what I could do. I didn’t mind it, although having at least one friend who didn’t care would be nice. That’s high school for you though, an outcast because you’re different.