Queen of Swords 5

Start from the beginning

"Good, the element of surprise is worth more than the loss of a few grunts to arrows from the forest. It's important that they don't realize that we're expecting them," Herad announced to everyone there. "I want every single member of the band accounted for, and equipped within the hour. The men already here are to start rolling out the heavy defenses, right away. It's time to dig in."

"Right away, boss," another bandit responded, before Blacknail heard him run off.

As Herad continued to talk, Blacknail slipped into the room. He wanted to be part of the action, as well. Hopefully, Herad would give him a real job this time.

The chamber was packed full of people, most of whom Blacknail couldn't be bothered to remember by name. He did see both Saeter and Khita, though. No one looked his way as he walked over towards his master.

"Have you been able to round up a few more horses?" Herad asked a tall lanky woman.

"No, there have been some complications there, boss," the woman replied nervously.

"What kind of complications?" Herad asked with more than a hint of anger.

The female bandit winced and paled slightly. Blacknail was glad he wasn't the one who'd annoyed the chieftain.

"A lot of the dealers are having problems with their stock. A lot of the animals in the city are sick. They think there's either a flu going around, or that someone has been poisoning them. I don't know why anyone would do that, though," she explained quickly.

Herad grunted in acknowledgment and some of the anger left her face. It was quickly replaced by confusion. She didn't seem to know why anyone would do that either.

Blacknail went very still, and tried to look as innocent as possible by forcing himself to smile. He wasn't sure it was working very well. Luckily, Herad didn't look his way. Saeter turned and gave the hobgoblin an irritated look, though.

"They started it!" Blacknail whispered to him.

His master didn't seem convinced. The old scout sighed and shook his head, until he turned back towards Herad a second later.

"Smelly stupid horses," the hobgoblin muttered to himself. How dare they get him in trouble! Next time he was going to use stronger poison.

"What about Zelena; is she moving?" Herad asked.

"Well, we still don't know where she actually is, but none of her men seem to be doing anything yet," another bandit replied. He was one of the men Blacknail couldn't be bothered to remember.

"Good, then we probably have some time. I want you to tell the guards to lock and block every door but the main entrance, girl," Herad said as she looked at Khita.

The young redhead pointed to herself uncertainly.

"Yes, you," Herad replied irritably as she pointed to the door.

"I have a bloody name," Khita muttered darkly to herself.

The young woman knew better then to disobey though, and she hurriedly headed for the exit. Blacknail watched her go, and when Khita noticed him he stuck his tongue out at her mockingly. She scowled at the hobgoblin in return, but that only made him smile smugly.

Herad then turned towards the band's only mage. Blacknail hadn't noticed him at first because he'd been standing at the back of a group of people and out of sight. Also, while most humans looked the same, Mahedium was even more generic looking than most.

"Mahedium, I want you to visit your friend Avorlus and deliver a message for me," she told the mage.

He frowned in displeasure as he considered Herad's words.