A Tradesman's Tools 2

"Blacknail you need to come out from under there," Saeter said with obvious frustration, before continuing to grind his teeth.

"No, I don't want to," Blacknail whined.

"Seriously, don't make me get down there and drag you out," Blacknail's master added.

The goblin sniffled miserably and groaned in pain and humiliation. Herad's lessons had gone on for hours! She'd beat him black and blue, and then purple and green. It had been so much worse than even his first lesson with Saeter.

"I can't believe I'm doing this," Saeter mumbled to himself.

The old scout crossed his arms and scowled in annoyance, as he glanced around the room. There was no one around to see his expression though, so a few seconds later he sighed in defeat and turned back to where the hobgoblin was hiding.

"What are you doing? You can't be all that scared of Herad," Saeter asked.

Blacknail stifled another whimper. Getting beaten up by the chief had crushed his ego into pulp. Why did she hate him so much? He'd thought he was the chief's favorite! He'd killed her enemies for her and everything.

There was no way he was ever going to show his face in public ever again. He'd just never leave this hiding spot, and slowly fade away.

"The chief hates me, and made me look bad in front of you," Blacknail whined in response.

Saeter sighed again, and then looked thoughtful.

"Really? " Blacknail asked hopefully.

"Yep, do you know how many men, er people, she's ever agreed to train personally?" Saeter asked.

"No," Blacknail replied.

"None, which means you really are her favorite. Now come out from under there, and I'll buy you all the meat pies you can eat," Saeter offered reluctantly.

Blacknail's ears perked up. Now that his master had mentioned food, the hobgoblin realized that he was hungry. He hadn't had breakfast yet, and meat pies sounded like just the thing. Blacknail reluctantly got up and crawled out from under his bed.

It had been getting kind of stuffy under there anyway.

"Fine, let's go eat. I want some cheese," he told his master.

"I offered meat pies, so if you want cheese you'll have to get it yourself," Saeter replied.

"Fine-ss, I know a place I can take some from, anyway," Blacknail muttered.

"You know you have money, right? You could just buy some bloody cheese; you don't have to steal it," his master pointed out.

The hobgoblin gave Saeter an uncomprehending look. What was this now?

"Buying means taking, doesn't it?" he asked in confusion.

"No, it doesn't; buying means trading. Humans trade money for other things they want. It's why we get paid, and want coins," Saeter explained.

That was stupid! Why would Blacknail give his shiny coins away, when everything he wanted was just lying around?

"Why not just pick up the things you want-ss?" he asked his master.

Saeter gave the hobgoblin a questioning look. Blacknail returned it.

"Because you can't steal everything you want, and it's often a lot more work than just buying stuff," Saeter answered gruffly.

Who said anything about stealing? Blacknail wasn't a thief. His master sure got confused sometimes. Good thing he had Blacknail around to help him out!