Chapter Forty-Four

Start from the beginning

            "When do you leave?" he said, fixing Kirov with a black stare.

            Kirov simply nudged his head and swept from the room.

            Blanch stared after his departure.

            "What about you?" Lily asked, drawing her gaze from the door. "What will your father do once he learns of your betrayal to him?"

            Her expression remained impassive but her eyes darkened to a fathomless blue. "I imagine he already knows." She paused, her eyes falling to Lily's belly. "The child is a beacon of hope for our kind." And the emotion was gone from her eyes as she raised them to Varian, "I will help you as much as I can, make haste in your preparations, I'll not be far."

Lily

            Lily sank into a chair once they were alone. She could feel an oppressive weight of an impending danger to come and shuddered.

            Varian knelt beside her, taking her hand gently in his. "What is it, love?"

            She could feel the sting of tears as she met that warm, dark stare. "I'm scared for you and the others." Her hands nestled about her belly, feeling the slightest of life beneath her fingers. "In three weeks time I've grown to the equivalent of eight months." Her voice broke with her dread. "What happens when the baby comes? What if I don't survive this, like my mother and Blanch's?" she could feel tears trickling her face and incapable of suppressing them, she began to sob.

            Varian pulled her against him, wrapping his arms tightly about her. He ran his hand the length of her back to her nape, entangling his fingers within the blonde tresses there.

            "You have nothing to fear." He assured gently, "I will keep you and the baby safe."

            She pulled back to peer at him more firmly, "What if they get the baby?"

            His expression darkened, "They won't." he vowed on a hiss. "I swear it."

            Despite his promise, Lily felt a sickening gut feeling. She could feel the peril suspended all around them. Ward was now aiding the elders. Her father knew where to find them.

            "We can't stay here." She said, peering warily about the room as if they would materialize any moment. "We have to leave." She started to rise but as she did the room began to spin wildly and she stumbled.

            She was caught instantaneously, swept safely into strong, reassuring arms.

            Varian moved quickly, crossing with three swift strides to place her on the bed. He was profoundly quiet, those dark eyes assessing her with an intensity that singed. "When last did you feed?" he demanded.

            Lily could feel her stomach clench at the mere thought of consuming blood. "I can't stomach it."

            She could see that noticeable jaw line grow taut with displeasure, all the while, those velvety eyes peering unyieldingly. "You're pale."

            Lily didn't want to alarm him considering the weighty issues currently at hand but she hadn't much of an appetite as of late. Her ravenous thirst had all but vanished and she'd been feeling nauseous. "Aren't all vampires naturally pale?" she teased, attempting humor, not quite liking his darkened visage.

            A firm knock came at the door and instinctively she settled a hand to her belly.

            "It's me." Ruby called from the parted door.