Ch. 9- Broken

"Two people in love, alone, isolated from the world, that's beautiful."  ~Milan Kundera

Chapter Nine- Broken

July 29th 3012, 7:00am

Sleep is not a refuge for me.  It is not a peaceful escape, at least now it’s not.  The treatment that exterminated my inner voice also allows me to dream.  I don’t feel anything yet the images stay seared into my brain.  The words I said to Brantley traveled around the mall quickly.  Elizabeth was the one who brought stale bread and water for me at lunch time.  I ate it and didn’t complain, not like I cared.  I didn’t get sick afterwards and I didn’t sleep.  I stayed awake staring at the floor and replaying everything I had ever said to anyone while I was here.  Some of the things I said seemed justified; others seemed to be me getting caught up in my newly discovered emotions.  Someone who cared must have found out that I had been given stale bread again because by dinner time Daniel brought me watery soup with stale and crumpled crackers.  No one else came.  No one cared if I had to use the bathroom or was going stir crazy in the small room.  Luckily, I discovered a small bathroom in a part of my cell I had never bothered to venture into before.  I don’t know what time it was when I drifted off but when I did, I woke with the new memories from the dream.  Eventually they faded until I couldn’t remember anything about them.

Now I sat alone waiting for something to happen.  Footsteps sounded outside my room.  I tried focusing on how many it was or possibly who it was.  I didn’t bother getting up; I didn’t see any point in it.  I doubted whoever it was would care if I got up to greet them or not.  Eventually Leah and Olivia appeared at my cell cage.  Leah’s hair was brown with red undertones while Olivia’s was just brown and Leah’s hair had more waves to it than Olivia’s straight locks.  Leah’s cheeks were a little chubbier than Olivia’s and her skin held more redness to it.  That’s where the differences stopped.  Both girls had brown eyes and were roughly the same height, probably somewhere around five six.  Both had a radiance about them that let me know they were usually happy.  Both looked around twenty-three yet their real age was probably somewhere closer to forty.  They were obviously close friends.

Olivia bent down and unlocked the gate so she could slide it up.  The two filed in and looked around with a blank expression.

“You need new furniture.”  Leah said bluntly.  Olivia nodded in agreement.

“How are you?”  Olivia asked me with a sigh.  “You look good.”  I nodded, not really caring why they were here or what they had to say.

“Here, Brantley insisted I give this to you.”  Leah said as she extended her hand to me.

I looked at the small white pill between her pointer and her thumb.  I reached out and plucked it from her light grasp.  Throwing my head back, I swallowed the pill effortlessly and ignored the buzzing in my head.  Immediately a feeling of regret washed over me along with a sense of loss.  I missed Jaxon.  I was angry with myself for saying all the harsh things I did.  I was tired of being a science of experiment to everyone here.  I was sick of being so easily disposed of.  I thought if I fought then if they did kill me, maybe they would feel some type of remorse.

“Jaxon.”  I said my fear and regret evident in my tone.  In that moment I didn’t care if they knew how I felt for him.  It was a weakness and they could use it against me, but I didn’t care; I just wanted to see him.  “Is he upset?”  I asked as my frantic gaze flashed between the two women.  Leah and Olivia shared a small, knowing smile.

“No, Danny.”  Olivia answered.  “That’s why we’re here.  Brantley and Jaxon want to talk to you.”

I relaxed only slightly at her words.  Talking to Brantley and Jaxon after I blew up at them didn’t exactly seem like something to be relaxed about.  I got up and slid on the leather jacket that had quickly become my favorite possession.  Leah and Olivia whispered softly between each other.  I waited patiently despite my brain screaming for me to just go to Jaxon.  They would probably be in Brantley’s little laboratory/doctor’s office.  Having chemicals and medicine that close together could not be good.