Ch. 2- Void

"At first I felt dizzy - not with the kind of dizziness that makes the body reel but the kind that's like a dead emptiness in the brain, an instinctive awareness of the void"  ~Fernando Pessoa

Chapter Two

July 25th 3012, 6:00am

             The metal bars clanged as they flew up.  My eyes fluttered open gently and I felt myself being lifted up.

            Pain.  My brain told me.

            I was pushed roughly into a chair and my lower jaw was pulled open.  Something small was placed on my tongue and my head was forced back.  I swallowed, not knowing what else to do, and unable to do much else.  The thing on my tongue had my brain reeling.  My head was released and I felt a throbbing in my skull.  I raised my good hand and began rubbing my forehead.  All my muscles were tense and sore, the roots of my hair were burning like my hair had just been yanked from my head.

            I looked around the room, taking in my surroundings.  Jonathan was standing over me with Ian and Jaxon in the background.  I stood up quickly, sending the chair flying.  Jonathan took a step back at my sudden outburst.

            “Why did you do that?”  I yelled at him.  Heat spread throughout my whole body, causing me to shake.  I could feel my skin getting hot and probably blotchy.  Anger was surging through my blood.  Immediately, I stopped.  Anger…a strong feeling of being upset or annoyed because of something wrong or bad: the feeling that makes someone want to hurt other people, to shout.  I was angry.

            “Sit down, void,” Jonathan spewed at me.  Hurt crippled my heart for a moment, then the anger returned.

            “Don’t tell me what to do,” I spoke harshly, my own nerves rattled by the tone that had escaped me.

            His hand reached out and slapped me across the cheek.  A searing pain surged through me.  My cheek burned when I touched it.  I let out a laugh.  It hurt; I could actually feel the pain.  I laughed some more as I straightened up, still cradling my aching cheek.  Jonathan’s face held absolute disgust and fear.  He probably thought I had lost my mind.

            “That really hurt,” I said with a huge smile.

            “I’m tired of this,” Ian stated from the back.  I shifted my gaze to him as he started walking towards me.  His blue eyes contained flecks of grey only visible in the right light.  His son followed behind.  “Tell me, void.”

            “Danielle,” I corrected him, just because I thought it would make him mad.  He shot me a warning glance but continued.

            “Why would you do this to yourself?”  He asked his blue grey eyes boring into my brown ones.

            I knew he was referring to the gene, that’s all anyone here seemed to want to discuss in this place.

            “What makes you think I chose this?”  I asked, raising an eyebrow.  My voice held strength and stubbornness.  A smile formed on my lips because of it.

            “I can tell you’ve been this way for a while.  How old are you anyway?”  He asked tilting his head at me.

            “How old do I look?”  I asked.  His eyes flashed with... anger.

            “Don’t toy with me!”  He yelled.  I saw Jonathan flinch in the corner of my eye.  I gave a curt laugh.

            “Someone has a short fuse,” I joked.