Chapter Eighteen

Ayame sat in the kitchen eating breakfast with the crew. The only crew mate absent was Zoro, who had woken up late once again. Sanji had promised he'd make something for the swordsman later in the day.

Luffy was chatting up everyone else, though whenever Ayame was spoken to, she quickly avoided the question, giving a hastily put together response, while dropping out of the conversation all together.

The child didn't miss the suspicious glances Ussop and Nami were sending her, though Ayame chose to ignore them.

Ussop was definitely more curious, as the greenette had been using his room quite a lot to slowly assemble her sword.

She had already crafted the blade, which sat wrapped in a pink cloth up in the birds nest, but was having trouble putting together the hilt. She had looked at many different supplies, though she wanted something soft yet sturdy, though nothing came to mind. Maybe cotton, though it could easily fall apart, and leather wasn't all too comfortable for the hands, the same with wood.

Ayame thought of fabric, stuffing it with stuffing and stitching it closed, though she didn't know how to stitch.

The child gave up after that, her mind not creative enough to think past the horror of Smith's Block, a horrible disease which took hold of some of the best swords smiths.

The door opened, making Ayame look up in alarm. Her shoulders slacked back down when she saw it was only her father, though her worry soon reached its peak once she heard what he said next.

"Hey Ayame, come here for a second."