Chapter Twelve

Sorry for the long wait!
I'd also like to thank all of my lovely, loyal readers for 1k reads! It means a lot, and it's heart warming to see that all of you actually read this.

Ayame narrowed her eyes in concentration, examining the book on her lap thoroughly.

She read the page time and time again, though she knew the letters wouldn't magically rearrange themselves. Ayame was left with a horrible realization, though she knew she couldn't ignore her research.

Ayame slowly rose from her spot on the deck, moving towards Nami. The older girl stood outside of the kitchen, talking quietly with Sanji.

"Hey, Nami," She looked over with a kind smile. "You think we could head for Wilbrow island?"

She tilted her head, studying for a moment before answering, "We weren't going to go on the island for too long, but we'll be there in about a week." She narrowed her eyebrows, "Why, is there something you'll be doing there?"

Ayame shook her head, "N-no," She answered a bit too quickly, "I-It's just," She looked around, trying to form a convincing excuse, "It's just, that island is notorious for, um, for this thing I want."

"And what might that be?" Nami was now leaning down, her nose almost touching Ayame's.

"Well," She gulped nervously, "I just wanted to see it in the autumn."

"It's true," Robin piped up from her spot on the deck, "I hear it's quite beautiful this time of year." Robin sat on a chair underneath an umbrella, a book in hand.

Ayame smiled gratefully at Robin, though it went unnoticed. "Well," Nami thought for a moment, "I guess you can go on the island. Once we get there, of course." Ayame wasn't given a second before Nami continued, "But you have to take an escort!"

Ayame's heart dropped, her mouth hanging slightly open, "A-an escort?"

Nami hummed in response, making the child's head droop. "B-but,"

"What's wrong?" Nami asked innocently, "Are you hiding something?"

Ayame looked up at the red head, then slowly shook her head. "Nope," She began heading to the Crow's Nest, "We're a crew, after all, I'd never hide something from you guys." She lies.