Chapter 39

I don't feel like opening my eyes. I just lay where ever I am and hope to go back to sleep. I feel some sort of pressure on my hand, but I don't know what it is. This makes me want to open my eyes.

My vision starts out blurry. I can't make out anything I'm seeing.

"Riley?" I hear a voice say, but unknowing where it came from. "Riley, can you hear me?"

I can't find the strength to answer the voice. I try to move my mouth, but it doesn't budge. Meanwhile, I hear another voice speak.

"I'll go get the doctor, tell them she's awake." The other voice says. This time, I can at least make out that the voice is female. Something tells me I know who the voice is, so I take my chances.

"Maya?" I ask.

My vision clears a bit more and I see a vague blob move to my left. "Riles! You recognize me?"

"Your voice. Can't see well." Is all I can manage to say.

"I'll get the doctor." I hear Farkle's voice. I see another blob get up from a chair and moves closer to the other blob.

"Riley, how are you feeling?" Says the wonderful voice next to me. I look over as my vision starts to focus. I smile at him and he grins back.

"Tired. My head hurts." I tell him.

Lucas responds "You know, I've missed you. So have the kids. They wanted to stay home from school to see you but I made them go."

"How long until I can see them?" I ask.

"School just started an hour or so ago, but I can take them out of school after you talk to the doctor."

"Okay, great." I respond.

Farkle and the doctor enter the room. She has long, blonde hair and is very tall.

"Hi Riley. Nice to finally meet you while you're conscious." She walks over to my bedside and shakes my hand.

"Nice to meet you, too. Do you mind telling me what happened to me?"