Chapter 3

Maya and Farkle talked the whole way to the subway about the project. Lucas and I only joined in when they asked us a question.

Once we all got on the subway, I pull Maya aside so neither Farkle and Lucas hear me. "I know why you chose Farkle as your partner. Thank you." I whisper.

"Your welcome. I knew you would want to be partners with Lucas. Especially with this project. And... well... I kind of like Farkle." She responds.

I start jumping up and down. "Yaaaaayyyy!" I whisper yell. Once I have calmed down, we both walk over to where Lucas and Farkle are sitting. I sit down next to Lucas and Maya sits down next to Farkle.

"So..." I start to say to Lucas. "Do you want to read over the guidelines to ourselves and then discuss them?"

"You make it sound so boring. But sure." Lucas responds.

It takes me about five minutes to read over the guidelines. I look towards Lucas to see if he's finished reading them too and see him staring at me.

"Finished reading?" I ask.

Lucas blinks his eyes like it interrupted his thinking. "What? Oh yeah. Yeah I read them."

"Okay. Well, one of the things the paper said was we can only have 1-3 kids. How many do you want to have?"

"You can choose."

"Lucas. We have to both agree on this. We'll have these children for the whole school year."

"It doesn't matter to me. No matter how many children we have for this assignment, I'll love them all the same."

I smile at this. "I would too. So... how's two children?"

"That would be perfect."

"I'm also guessing you don't care about the age of the children either."

"I wouldn't say I don't care, but I would prefer 6 or older. That way they can go to school and we can help them with their homework. But I think we should just wait until we get to the orphanage to decide."

"That would probably be a good idea."

We sit in silence the rest of the subway ride home and listen to Maya and Farkle talk about their project. Why is Maya so good with boys and not me. I should have caught on my now.

The subway gets to our stop and the four of us get off.

"Riley, do you want to come over my house for a bit? You know, to work on our project and all." Lucas asks me.

"I would, but I have to ask my parents." I get out my phone out of my pocket to call my mom.

Lucas points somewhere behind me. "Your father's getting off the subway now."

I turn around and he's right. My dad starts walking towards us. He waves to us and I wave back. Once he reaches us, he starts talking.

"Hey guys. How was your first day of school?"

"It went very well, sir." Lucas responds for the both of us. "Sir? Could Riley come over my house for about an hour to work on our project together?"

"What project? On the first day of school?"

"Didn't Mrs.Jones tell you about the project? She said she told all the twelve grade teachers." I say.

"Maybe, maybe not."

"I'll give you the paper that explains it later. You, Mom, and Auggie will have to be apart of it."

"What?"