Chapter 27

"Presents!" I wake up to Abby yelling. "Santa came! Santa came!"

As I always do, I look at my alarm clock before I get out of bed. 6:30.

"She couldn't wait an hour longer?" I moan.

"I'm sure you were up at this time when you were her age." Lucas says to me.

I turn over on my side to look at Lucas. "Wrong! I was always up at 5:00." I reply in a powerful voice.

"Riles... That doesn't help your case."

"Presents!" I yell, ignoring what Lucas just said. I throw off the covers and speed walk towards the living room. As I'm walking, I hear Lucas laugh from the bedroom.

I walk in the room to see Abby shaking a box underneath the tree. "Abby!"

Abby looks in my direction. "What?" She says innocently. "I didn't open any of them yet."

"You need to learn to sleep some." Liam exclaims, walking into the room.

Is if she planned Liam would say this, Abby automatically responds "Liam, of all people, you should be used to this. Since when haven't I woken up this early on Christmas?"

"Well, last year you did manage to wait until 7:00."

"What's your point?" Abby sounds bored at this point.

"My point, well- It's just better if I stop talking."

Liam and I go sit on our separate couches, Liam next to Abby and myself next to where Lucas would be sitting when he comes in.

"Lucas? Are you coming?" I yell.

"Yeah, in a minute!" He yells back.

Lucas and I always said each other's names in front of the kids if we were talking to each other. The kids didn't seem to find that weird. Whenever Lucas or I are talking to the kids about the other, however, we say 'your mom' or 'your dad' instead of each other's names.

"Dad! Hurry up!" Abby yells, impatient.

"I'm coming now!" Lucas yells back.

Lucas emerges carrying a big rectangular box.

"Ooh!" Abby gasps. "Who's that for?"

Lucas brings it over and sets it next to the rest of the gifts underneath the tree. "Well," Lucas takes a look at the tag on the gift. "The tag says it's for Liam and Abby, from Santa."

"Let's open that one first!" says Abby.

"For once, I agree with her." Liam adds.

"Hold on, you two," Lucas holds out a hand. "It also says to open last."

"That means it's going to be the best gift!" Liam exclaims.

"Let's open all of our other gifts quickly, then!" Abby reaches for the nearest gift. From the pile, she chooses a small, box. "'To Riley, from Lucas.' Here, Mom." She hands me the box.

Really, I think to myself. I was expecting something more from Lucas. Hopefully this isn't some gift card or something.

I take the box from Abby. I carefully rip open the wrapping paper as I always do. Inside is a small, black box. I open the box to find a beautiful charm necklace. Slowly, I take it out to have a better look at it.

"Aw, Lucas! This is beautiful! Thank you!"

He smiles his adorable grin. "All the charms have something to do with us."

There is a charm of an art pallet, a purple heart, a cuddle bunny, and quite a few more. The only one that didn't have anything relevant to us was a charm of the Eiffel Tower.

"What about the Eiffel Tower?" I ask.

"I added that one because I want to take you to Paris someday in our future."

To be continued...