Chapter 25

Special thank you to bookworms_of_today for giving me an idea for this chapter, without even trying to give me an idea.

~~~~~~~

Because it's the day before Christmas break, the teachers decide it would be a fun idea to switch which teacher taught which class. Mr. Benson taught social studies while my dad taught math. That was very interesting. Art class, though, was unexpected.

Our French teacher, Mrs. Fray, taught art class today instead of Ms. Bittner.

"I recognize a lot of you," Mrs. Fray says as class begins. "I have quite a few of you in my French classes."

The whole class was silent. This is Mrs. Fray's first year at John Quincy Adams, so she isn't used to our holiday tradition of teacher's switching classes.

"Well, okay. I have an idea. Everyone draw, paint, any kind of art of whatever you want, school appropriate, of course. When I draw, I free my mind and let my hands do the work. I'm also going to draw with you all. At the end of the period, you can either take the drawing home or hand it in. Get started, you all."

I picked up some colored pencils and a piece of paper and started drawing. My brain didn't even comprehend what I was drawing. I kept looking at Luca's drawing next to me. He was drawing a baseball field. I also looked at Maya and Farkle's drawings across from me. Farkle was drawing, well, I really couldn't tell as of now. I did know it had something to do with science. Maya was drawing a door, the same door she's been drawing for five years. Every time she draws it, the door opens more and more.

Sometime when I was absorbed in my drawing, Lucas nudges me. I look towards him. He whispers "Do you even know what your drawing?"

I look down at my drawing. It's the picture of the house from my dream I had almost a month ago, burning in the field. I even drew in the shattered window. The field has the same dark red roses.

I'm tempted to scream, but I don't. I flip the paper over and set my head in my arms on top of it.

"Riley, are you okay?" I hear Farkle ask. I can't find my voice to respond. Lucas starts rubbing my back, trying to calm me.

When I pick my head up, I look at the clock. There was about fifteen minutes left of class. I get up from my seat and ask Mrs. Fray if I could use the restroom. Once I get her approval, I take my drawing off my desk, careful not to look at it.

"What are you doing, Riley?" Lucas asks me.

"Flushing it so I never have to see it again."

I walk out of the classroom and head to the restroom. Luckily no one was in there. I open one of the stall doors. I sneak one look at the picture. It looked exactly like my dream did. I never had drawn a picture so detailed in my life.

Did I really want to get rid of such a good picture? No, I tell myself. You can't keep having this nightmare following you. You have to get rid of it.

When I finally decide to flush the drawing, the bathroom door opens. "Riles?" I hear a voice call.

"Right here, Maya."

Maya walks over to the stall in which I'm standing in. "Are you okay?"

"I think I am."

"What did you draw that upset you so much?"

I show Maya the picture and tell her about the dream that keeps haunting me. "I can never get it out of mind. I have the same dream at least once a week and it's killing me."

"Then why didn't you tell me about this? I would've helped you get through this. Scratch that. I will help you get through this."

"I didn't want to remind you about the fire that night. I know that's a touchy subject for you."

"It's not so much a touchy subject anymore. My mom was put to peace and I have to accept that. And even if it was still a touchy subject, I would still help you. That's what friends are for. And I know for sure Lucas and Farkle would want to help, too."

"Lucas already knows. I wake up screaming and crying when I have that dream."

Maya gives me a hug. "You'll be okay." She says, releasing me. "I think you're just worried about Abby and Liam. Maybe your brain is afraid that they will get hurt the next time they try to help ina dangerous situation."

"Maybe."

"Now, flush that drawing!" Maya says with a grin. "I hate saying to flush such a great drawing, but it's for your own good."

I drop the drawing into the toilet and flush it. Maya high-fives me and says "Come on, we should get back to class before Mrs. Fray gets suspicious."

With that, we walk out of the restroom.