Chapter 34

A month later and I still wasn't over my being late to school, nor was Mr. Benson. Whenever another student was late to class or took too long in the restroom, he would say to them "So now you are following by Miss. Matthew's rules, I see."

It's as if he has been waiting for me to be late, just to see my pain. I don't understand it, though. I've always gotten all A's on my exams and never acted up in class. But yet, Mr. Benson has always found a way to get mad at me.

On February 1st, the last day of the semester, I asked Mr. Benson why he's hated me at the end of class.

"Riley, I don't hate you. I was just trying to get ready for college." Mr. Benson tells me when everyone else leaves the room.

"What do you mean?" I ask, confused by his statement.

"Not all professors will like you as a student. Some won't even notice you."

"How can they not notice their students."

"Well, students are supposed to listen to the professors lecture on about whatever subject they teach, take notes, and pass the tests."

"Okay..." I begin. "But what does that have to do you being mean to me."

"I told you, I'm preparing you for college. I wanted you to learn that no matter how smart you are, you won't always be liked by your teachers." Mr. Benson says calmly.

"Then how come you aren't mean to Farkle as you are to me?" I challenge.

"Well," He starts. "I know Farkle can handle it. You, my dear, have always seemed to try to please everyone in everything you do."

I think about Mr. Benson's words. "Okay, then thank you, I guess."

"Your welcome. I'll see you next semester, Miss. Matthews."

"See you next semester, Mr. Benson." I say, walking towards the door.

"Hurry on now, you wouldn't want to be tardy to next class, would you?" Mr. Benson jokes.

I leave the classroom, partly laughing at the joke Mr. Benson just made, partly laughing of joy. I now knew why Mr. Benson didn't like me.

Next semester math shouldn't be as bad as the first.