Forgotten Bliss ~ Chapter 16

CHAPTER SIXTEEN

"He has a major heart condition. I was under oath not to tell you, patient confidentiality and all that. He suffers from an Arrhythmia- Tachycardia more like. For this particular illness, the symptoms aren't always seen but it's there. The dizziness and faintness were just two of many. Mr. Jacobs allowed me to tell you if it seemed like there was no chance."

My head was buzzing. I was trying to take it all un and understand what exactly was happening. "I'm sorry, no chance?"

"This is a very serious illness and often, if the patient is not careful, it could be terminal." Terminal? "Mr. Jacobs informed us a while ago that he had been electrocuted. It was a big one, but it was enough for him to require constant observation. He came in every few weeks to check his vitals."

"He never told me about that. When did it happen?" I furrowed my brows and tried to make sense of the situation.

"According to his charts, it happened almost three years ago. There might have been a change in the level of stress Mr. Jacobs has seen in the past few months. Anything could have brought this on."

I nodded and took a deep breath. "So- so, there's nothing? Absolutely nothing that can be done?"

"Mr Turner...Doctor Turner, you know well enough that we try as hard as we can to make sure that our patients survive. Believe me when I say that we've tried everything we could. I suggest that you stay with him. There's no telling how long he has but it's best that he's with people he cares about." The doctor squeezed my shoulder in a show of comfort and walked past me, down the hall.

My hands were shaking. I felt as if I was being suffocated. I undid a few buttons on my shirt and ran my fingers through my hair. I swallowed and made my way into Tommy's room.

Tommy wasn't looking at the door when I walked in. He had his gaze firmly fixed on the window. There wasn't much going on outside. The sun was about to go down and it felt has if this day would never end.

"Did you know?" He continued to stare out the window. "Did you know, Tommy? Did you know that it was this bad?"

"Yes."

I took a deep breath. "Were you ever planning on telling me or were you just waiting for it to kill you?" I was angrier than I had ever been. "What about Ashton? What about- what about me?"

"I didn't think it mattered. I wanted a normal life." He sighed.

"We could have gotten you help!"

"There was nothing you could have done for me. It was already too late. It's over, Kev."

I remained silent for a moment. "I can't help wondering if this was your plan all along."

"What do you mean?" Tommy shifted on the bed and glanced at me before turning his gaze back out the window.

"You came back into my life, we got back together, let me into your home and love your son. You knew you'd end up here and still you let me go through all that?" My words finally got his attention. He stared at me and narrowed his eyes.

"Are you saying that you regret it? You wouldn't have gotten back with me if you knew this would happen?" I shook my head.

"No, I'm not saying that. If I knew, we could have done things differently. Figured things out. Lived life to it's fullest."

"That's exactly why I didn't want to tell you! You knowing would have meant that we would have lived in constant fear that I'd die with the drop of a hat." He took a deep breath. "Kevin, I wanted us to be as we were. I didn't want my condition to be our relationship. You and Ashton, it's all I ever wanted."