A whirlwind romance. Chapter 37.

I felt like I was walking on sunshine over the days that passed. Paul and I had had a real heart to heart with each other. He had gone out and picked a different bouquet of flowers for everyday of the week. I had never known anyone like him... Apart from Luke. I kept on remembering what happened that morning when Luke had hit me. He had been so angry and I didn't even know why. 

I had kept wondering whether I should go and see him or not, give hm the chance to explain himself. Every time I came to the conclusion that it just wasn't worth it. I felt as though I was in a good place, here with Paul and I didn't need Luke to ruin that.

*************************************************************************************************************

It had nearly been a week since the incident with Anna. I couldn't believe I had done it. I came back to Mudeford to pleasantly surprise her, not drive her away because I couldn't control my jealousy. 

I looked outside, it was lightly snowing. 'Perfect time to tell Anna how I feel.' I thought. I'd put it off too much and couldn't take my Auntie asking where she was much longer. I grabbed my coat and scarf and made my way out the door. The snow was beginning to settle on the ground. 

I eventually got to Mudeford Quay and stopped. It was quiet apart from a couple of voices, one of which I recognised immediately. Anna was laughing along with a little girls voice, to which I assume was Lily's and a man's voice, being Paul. I rounded the corner, slowly and watched them. They were playing out in the snow, looking like a real family. I could feel jealousy overwhelming me, but I knew I needed to stay calm if I was to get Anna back. I stepped out from the corner into sight.

"Luke?" it was Paul. Not the person I wanted to see me first.

Anna picked up Lily and turned to face me, swiftly. Hello Luke. How are you?"

She was being very formal, I didn't like it. "I'm very well. Anna, I was hoping to talk to you...Privately." I tried to say with confidence. 

"Um... Ok. Paul, take Lily in. Luke and I will go and sit in the pub." she said quietly,while handing her over to him. She was about to walk away, when Paul pulled her back and planted a kiss on her cheek. I thought I was going to hit him. I couldn't believe that those two were, a couple?! I need to confront her.

We were sitting in the pub in an awkward silence. I had everything planned that I was going to say to her, but it had now vanished. Anna was the first to speak.

"What did you want to talk to me about Luke?" she asked, seeming a little distant.

I didn't know where to start, all of these words had suddenly gushed to my head. I didn't know how to get them out, so I started with simply "Anna,I'm really sorry about what happened the other day. I feel awful."

Her sitting there, thinking of an answer seemed like a lifetime, I held my breath.

"Luke. You hit me and now you expect me to forgive you because you said sorry? It'll have to be more than that."

"Anything Anna. I love you so much that I would do anything for you." I gushed. This girl reduced me to an idiot sometimes, but that was why I loved her.

She looked uneasy about what I had just said but I couldn't read her like I usually could. 

"Luke I really don't think..."

Before she could say anymore, I kissed her. That was the only way she could really see how I felt. She kissed me back, then suddenly pulled away with a look of horror on her face.

"I can't Luke... I'm sorry." was all she said before running out.

I ran after her, she was heading for the woods. "Anna, please. We need to talk about this."

Suddenly she stopped and turned to face me. "Talk? Luke I just gave you the chance to talk but you decided to ruin it by kissing me! I was perfectly happy before you came along and messed up my life with your handsome ways and sea blue eyes! If you had never come along, then maybe I would be with someone else other than you and Paul and maybe my sister might even still be alive! So don't tell me you want to talk about it because there is..."

I pulled her towards me and pressed my lips hard on hers. The need for her was overwhelming. It was as though I was thirsty for her lips and I needed them more and more. She kissed me back with equal pressure. I felt her hands move from around my neck and into my hair, tangling it between her fingers.

We eventually pulled away, Anna was biting her lip and smiling. "Why hadn't you just done that in the first place instead of going mad? This is the Luke I know and love, standing right here in front of me." 

"Anna, please give me another chance. I had just come back from the War, it messes with your head, you should know that from Ben..." She looked down. "Anna...It's just I love you more than anyone can ever imagine and no one can take that away, no matter what happens. If you were with Paul, I would love you till my dying breath." I took hold of her hands. I could feel tears welling up inside me. This was going to prove to her how much she really meant. "Anna, if you want to be with Paul, and live as a family, you, Lily and Paul then you can. I love you too much and all I want is for you to be happy and if that isn't with me, then I cannot expect you to be with me."

I brought her hand to my lips and kissed it, while looking her her beautiful eyes. There were tears falling but this needed to be done. "Goodbye my beautiful Anna."

And with that, I turned and walked away...