A whirlwind romance. Chapter 29

I stood there flabbergasted. Anna was the last person I was expecting to see on my doorstep. She looked upset and tired as she stood on my doorstep.

"Of course! Come on in." I said, ushering her in to the living room, slowly closing the front door behind me. 

"Are you ok Anna?" I asked her as she sat down on the setee next to me.

"No! Oh Paul.... Luke has gone to war! He didn't even say good bye to me. How could he..." she said, breaking down.

I cautiously put my arm around her shoulders and pulled her in close. Perhaps now wasn't the best time to tell her he had come over here to see me, considering he hates me. Anyway enough about Luke, I needed to look after Anna. She needs a friend right now.

"Do... do you think I drove him away P-Paul? I mean I was so horrible to him, he might of left on his own accord." she said, looking at me with her sad, red eyes.

I took her face and held it in between both hands. "Anna, don't be ridiculous. Luke loves you very dearly and even if he was going on his own accord, he would of said goodbye to you anyway. But I thought you two had made up?"

"Yeah we made up. Paul.... We um... slept together." she mumbled.

I couldn't help but feel jealous. I did have feelings for Anna, but I mean between three blokes living within a mile of each other all had feelings for her. But Luke was the lucky one. She obviously loved him very much.

"Paul?"

I snapped out of my thoughts. "Yes?"

"What am I going to do? What if I'm pregnant..." she said, burying her head in her hands.

"Hey hey. Look I'm sure you're not and everything will be fine. You're dad and sister will support you no matter what."

"I don't think so Paul. You saw what happened to Rosie. Pa sent her away because he was disgraced by her. I don't want that to happen to me!"

"Hey hey. Look I'm sure not and everything will be fine. And even if you were, your dad and sister would support you no matter what."

"I don't think so Paul. You saw what happened to Rosie. Pa sent her away because he was disgraced by her. I don't want that to happen to me! I'm scared..."

Suddenly the front door opened and in walked my dad. Anna and I sprung apart.

"Miss Hall... I wasn't expecting you here." he said sternly.

"Sir, I'm just staying here for a while, if that' ok?" she said quietly.

"Yes it's fine. But I'm expecting you and Paul to have separate rooms."

She looked at me questioningly. "dad! Of course she's sleeping in the spare room!"

"Good. Well in that case you are free to stay fro however long you need."

"Thank you." she smiled.

**************************************************************************************************************************************

Paul showed me up to the spare room. It was smaller than my room at home, but almost identical.

"I'm sorry about my dad earlier... He can be embarrassing sometimes."

"It's ok. But why did he say about the separate rooms? He knows we're just friends right?"

"Yeah of course! But you know how my dad is... Always assuming things." he smiled.

I let it go. What did it matter anyway. They were letting me stay in their home and I was grateful. 

"Um.... Anna. When Luke didn't get to speak to you this morning, he came and knocked on my door."

I looked at him wide eyed. Luke had come to speak to his enemy?

"He um.... he gave me this." he said, handing me an envelope.

I slowly took it and sat down on my bed to read it.

To my dearest Anna,

I am writing you this letter so that I can tell you honestly what has happened and why I had to leave so soon.

After you left, I received a phone call from the general of the army. They have a shortage of men and are calling up all of us who are due to be there in a few weeks. Hopefully if I am going earlier than planned, then they may let me go on leave earlier and come back and see you.

By the time you are reading this letter, I would have spoken to you and said my good byes, but only good bye for now my love. Please Anna, stay strong. We will be together soon again. I love you very much.

I have also asked Paul to look out for you, so no matter what happens he will be there for you to talk to. You're probably thinking 'why am I asking my enemy?' Well the answer is that he is the only person I can trust. I do not trust that Ben. Please Anna, be aware of him, he is hiding something, I swear he is.

Anyway I had better go. Remember I am fighting for our future, for us to be together. I love you lots and lots. I shall see you very soon

Yours forever,

Luke.

A tear fell on to the letter. He is so beautiful. I don't know how I could of been so selfish. Of course he will love me forever, and I will always love him.