A whirlwind romance. Chapter 3.

The next day was Monday. As Anna was off school for the holidays,she decided to do some spring cleaning. She got out her apron and a feather duster and started cleaning.

“Anna,what are you doing?”

“I'm doing the spring cleaning Pa.”

“No Anna,I'll do it. You go for a walk while the sun is shining.” said John taking the feather duster off of her.

“Oh,thank you Pa!” exclaimed Anna hugging her Father.

She took of her apron and grabbed her cardigan and headscarf and made her way to the door,blowing a kiss to her Father on the way out.

“Bye Anna.” he laughed.

She made her way down the quay past the fishermen unloading their catch from that night.

“Morning Mr Wallis!” called Anna.

“Good morning Miss Hall.” he called back,raising his cap.

She chuckled to herself,this was definitely the life. As she walked down the promenade,her red spotty dress blew about in the breeze. Some small boys were playing on the beach,throwing stones into the sea. There was a real sense of community in the air. It was always like this,but especially on the first day of spring. Flowers were being sold left,right and center. Mainly daffodils. She made her way up the path towards a small wood on top of the cliff. Anna loved this wood,you could see all sorts of small furry animals. It was mainly rabbits though. She usually sat on a bench to watch them as they nibble at the grass on the ground. As she walked along the path,she started dreaming about what had happened the night before. Luke's sea blue eyes and pale pink lips. The way he had softly outlined her jawline with his warm hands. How he had come to help her when Paul was being mean. What his handkerchief had smelt of when he lent it to her. These thoughts kept going round in her mind like a leaf swirling down from a tree. As she made her way over to her favorite bench,she saw someone sitting there painting. It was Luke.

'Maybe I should just keep on going and pretend I haven't noticed him.' she thought.

But he was like a magnet drawing her in. She slowly walked towards where he was sitting. Her heart began to beat faster,she didn't know what to do with her hands. Should she look straight at him or look down?

“Hello Luke...” said Anna almost mumbling. The words seem to just jump out of her mouth as if she had no control over them.

“Oh, hello Anna.” he replied. He tried to stay calm,but Anna could hear the excitement in his voice.

“What are you painting?” She was curious,she had never seen someone's painting while it was being done.

“I'm trying to catch the sense of spring,with the golden sand and the deep blue sea,with the Isle of Wight in the distance.”

His voice made Anna melt like butter.

“It's beautiful.” she whispered.

“Just like you.” he murmured.

This caught Anna by surprise,she looked up but his face was inscrutable except for the twinkle in his eye. There was a few minutes silence,but it seemed like hours.

“Here Anna,why don't you try doing some painting.” handing her the paintbrush.

“But,I can't paint!” she tried to make a point but her voice came out all squeaky again.

“Well,now's your chance to learn.” taking her hand and dipping the end of the paintbrush in to the deep blue which was on the pallet. He moved her hand up to the picture.

“Luke,I don't...”

“Sshh Anna,just go with it. It feels like you are painting away all your troubles.” He was right,it felt all her worries were going out of her mind,down her arm and through the paintbrush,onto the painting.

“But Luke,I don't want this painting to be full of problems,I want it to be full of happiness.” said Anna looking at the area she had painted as if there was a problem written on it.

“It's full of happiness as long as you're here.”

Anna began to blush. She looked up at him,he was studying her again. He moved a curl out of her eye and stroked her cheek.

“Anna, I...”

“Well, well, well. What do we have here?”

It was Poppy.

“Hello Poppy.” said Anna, a little upset that she had interrupted them.

“Oh Anna,I'm sorry. I didn't realize it was you.” she truly did sound sorry.

Anna got up off the bench.

“Goodbye Luke.”

He nodded,but his expression gave him away. As Anna walked away,he caught hold of her hand.

“Will I be seeing you soon?” he asked eagerly.

“I'm sure you will.” she smiled. He let go of her hand slowly and she turned to make her way over to Poppy.

“Um... Is there something you haven't told me,Miss Hall?

“No there isn't Poppy!” but who was she trying to fool? Something was developing between her and Luke whether she liked it or not.