A whirlwind romance.

Anna was a beautiful young girl. She had brown hair with curls, and was quite slim and tall. She lived on Mudeford Quay where every morning she could look out over the water to Christchurch Cathedral, where her Mother is buried.

Anna's Mother died during childbirth so she had never known her. Every Sunday, she would go and lay flowers on her grave. Her Mother's favorite – Daffodils.

“Oh Ma, I wish you were here. I really miss you.”

It was a beautiful sunny morning; the grass still had dew on it. Anna was kneeling on a small cushion her Mother had made while she was pregnant with Anna.

Suddenly she heard her Father's voice.

“Sweetheart, it's time to go.”

“Yes Pa” replied Anna.

This was the first time that her Father had come with her to Church since the War started. As a fisherman, he had not been allowed to go to war, so he had joined the Home Guard. Anna was seeing him even less these days as he was either at sea or on Home Guard duty.

As they made their way out of the gates and down the Priory path,Anna thought of something she had never really asked her Father before.

“Dad,do you ever think about Ma?”

“I think about her all the time Anna. I miss her so much.”

“Me too” said Anna drifting off into her own thoughts.

Suddenly,someone shouted for her Father.

“I need to go Anna. Will you be OK alone?”

“Yes dad,I'll be fine.”

He kissed her absentmindedly on the forehead and strode quickly away. She was used to her father disappearing suddenly.

She watched him go,then continued her walk under the arch where the flowers were in full bloom all around her. She was thinking how the World could be so beautiful while the War was going on. It didn't make sense. Then she heard the humming of aircraft. That was the only thing that made it seem real to Anna. She was caught up in her own thoughts when someone called her name.

“Anna...”

She looked around but couldn't see anyone.

ANNA!”

Poppy,her best friend was running towards her.

She was tall and slim like Anna but had blond curls. She was wearing a white dress with pink flowers on. This was her Sunday dress.

“What's with the dark clothes?!” exclaimed Poppy.

“It's my Church dress!” Anna laughed.

“Oops...” giggled Poppy.”Come on,you had better get changed then, we are going exploring!” she started to drag Anna along.

“But we're too old for that, we're 17!” said Anna.

“Who cares?! We could be dead tomorrow!” shouted Poppy defiantly.

A cloud crossed Anna's heart.

Poppy's idea of exploring was mainly sitting on a beach looking to see if there were any nice boys. Anna decided to buy them both ice creams.

“Mmmm,this is the life!” said Poppy,leaning back on the wall and swinging her legs.

Um... Yes,yes it is.” replied Anna watching a boy get out of a black car.

“You're always miles away,you are!” said Poppy pulling a funny face.

“Do you know who that boy is over there?” Anna asked pointing to the dark haired boy beside the black car.

“P'raps he's an evacuee,never seen him before.”

'I wonder if he'll be coming to the 'Spring Ball' tonight?' thought Anna.

The two girls drifted off into their own thoughts.