Faking a smile, he strolled up to Theo. ''What, you thought I'd miss this?'' He sarcastically gestured at the festivities in front of them.

Multi-colored lights hung from the branches of the trees, illuminating the small portion of the woodlands the party occupied. Other decorations had been set up as well, including streamers, a few tables for snacks and drinks, and a makeshift DJ station. Obnoxious house music blared from the speakers stationed around the venue. But people didn't go to parties for the tunes; they went to have fun and get drunk with their friends. By the look of things, the students of River Hill High were doing just that.

''Isn't this great?'' Theo asked.

Chase could tell the guy was excited. The crazy smile and animated expression weren't what tipped him off, though; Theo always seemed to have those. No, it was the fact that his stutter and constant fidgeting was becoming more noticeable by the second—key indicators that quickly Chase picked up on.

''It's alright, I guess,'' he answered. ''The beach parties back in Malibu are better.''

''You west coasters wouldn't know a good party if it crashed into you at light speed.'' Tilting his head slightly, Theo smirked at his friend. ''Have I ever told you how much you look like the typical surfer dude? You know, with the whole tall, blue-eyed, blond-haired thing you've got going on.''

''Thanks?''

''Wasn't a compliment,'' Theo joked. The two of them laughed.

Chase jammed his hands into pockets of his ripped jeans. ''Have you seen Stella?"

Theo grinned. ''I was wondering when you'd ask about her.'' He gestured towards the snack and drink station. ''Saw her getting drinks not too long ago. You can look for her after we— ''

The blond cut his friend short by clapping him on the shoulder. ''Good looking out, Holland. I'll see you later, yeah?"

He didn't wait for Theo to reply, fearing that he'd miss Stella if he didn't get a move on. After breezing past the guy, he pushed his way into the crowd and made his way towards the refreshments.

The music reverberated through his bones as he navigated through the horde of dancing teenagers. The strobing lights and the tacky smoke machine hidden somewhere in the trees made it a little difficult to see. His nose crinkled as the scent of cheap beer and sweat invaded his nostrils. After a few more seconds of sidestepping and bumping into people, he arrived at his destination.

He suppressed a grin when he saw her standing there.

She wore a yellow, long-sleeved dress that accentuated her curves perfectly. The bright color paired well with her golden complexion. Her mahogany-colored hair wasn't in its usual ponytail; instead, it flowed down her back like a silky cape.

She looked like a model straight off a runway.

Glancing down at his own clothes, he instantly regretted not picking a better outfit. A retro hockey jersey and some old jeans weren't the best of choices, he had to admit.

He stood at the edge of the crowd trying to build up enough confidence to go talk to her. It wasn't like he was trying to steal her away from Bryson or anything. Though, he couldn't pretend like the prick didn't deserve it. In all honesty, he just wanted to get to know her. Maybe even be friends. Something about her seemed intriguing and he wanted to figure out what exactly that something was.

Giving himself a few internal words of encouragement, he made his way over to her.

She had his back to him as she spoke with a few of her friends. Not trying to seem like a creep who was spying on her, he grabbed a solo cup, took a regretful sip, and focused his attention elsewhere. A new song came through the speakers. Judging by how she and her friends reacted, he assumed they were fans.