Chapter 41: Notes

Settled into the shadows at the back of the harem's laundry, Eliska exhaled slowly, one finger rubbing the tattoo nearest her left wrist. She was dressed casually in one of her loose, bare-armed robes. Typically she'd have worn one of the cloth suits with the loose, mottled over robe that kept her from leaving a person-shaped shadow, but it would have looked out of place to those who weren't aware of the shadows. Henna designs were common enough her tattoos could be explained away, but not her in an outfit that distinctive.

She sighed as she looked down at the first ringed tattoo. It had been the first spell she'd learned, one of the ones all shadows were made to attempt, and the memories of the ritual rose unbidden. The six months she'd spent only coming out after dark, of staying completely out of the sun for the whole duration made her grimace. While not the hardest ritual to complete, it definitely hadn't been one of her favourites.

Still, Eliska couldn't deny the reward was well worth the ritual. She ran a ringer up the tattoo and whispered, "Taehat." The flash of black light was hidden from sight by the way the walls surrounded her, just as she'd planned.

Looking down at herself, Eliska couldn't help the faint smile that tugged at her lips. It was always a little odd to see herself go almost entirely transparent, like some kind of spirit or vision, but she couldn't deny it was effective. She was practically invisible at night. In the day, when the sun was hidden, she was far more obvious. It was only a pity the spell could only be used out of the sun or it'd be even more useful.

But she had work to do, and crouching behind a building wasn't getting it done. She straightened and flitted from shadow to shadow towards the harem's north gate. While the spell was in effect, she and the other spies had been taught not to rely on magic alone. To do so was to invite your spells to fail.

In no time at all she had herself hunkered down under the drooping branches of the pagoda tree that had not yet flowered. Between the leaves she had a clear view of the gate and her target. Diallo didn't even glance in her direction. He stood straight, practically against the wall, his hands clasped behind his back, his eyes on the empty garden in front of him. No one in the harem came this way after dark.

Which of course made it ideal for a new recruit into the eunuchs. Eliska studied Diallo, noting the muscles visible even under his uniform as he shifted to stare briefly out the gate before turning his attention back to the inside of the harem. Everything about him screamed alert strength which certainly explained why Ajani liked him.

Still, he had to be up to something he shouldn't. She couldn't think of why else he was focused on the harem rather than the grounds outside. People trying to get into the harem was far more common than any of the girls trying to get out. Everyone was well-treated in the harem and they were safe here. Incidents like what had happened with Yasmia were incredibly rare, though shadows definitely had an easier time getting out than the ordinary girls. Then again, they were taught how to get in and out of anywhere with ease, so it only made sense.

Seeing the way Diallo stiffened and turned back towards the gate, Eliska shifted so she was half out from under the tree. It gave her a clearer view as Diallo moved into the narrow archway that held the small gate made of iron bars. When he pressed himself against the stone beside the gate, she moved even closer, sticking close the wall's shadows.

A young man came into view through the bars, face hard to see in the dark, but he had the nervous air of someone not quite comfortable with themselves as well as what he was doing. When the light of the moon hit the one side of his face, she thought she was right and that he might be even younger than she'd thought. Probably one of the lower servants or at best, lowest level official in administration.

Their voices were soft, the susurration just audible to her though she couldn't pick out individual words. White movement drew her attention as they exchanged what appeared to be pieces of paper. Then the young one turned away while Diallo stuffed the paper he'd received into his shirt.

Eliska hesitated for a moment. Should she report straight to Ajani, or should she try and find out who the boy was? A brief glance at Diallo decided her. He was more relaxed now, and as long as he remained on duty, would still likely have the paper on him when his shift ended. The boy could disappear and they'd have a hard time tracking him down again.

She turned and hurried back to the tree she'd been crouching under. With its low, drooping branches, it was easy enough for her to clamber up it, the thickness of its trunk and branches making it barely sway under her weight. She hoped any leaves rustling would be mistaken for the soft breeze that had sprung up once the sun had set. From inside the tree it was a quick jump to the top of the harem wall.

Pausing for a moment to locate the boy, Eliska took a deep breath before she leapt down to the grass below. She swallowed a wince as the shock ran up her legs but didn't let it slow her down. She hurried towards where she'd seen the boy scurrying into the nearest garden.

Eliska spotted him slowing down, his head swivelling this way and that, the paper jammed into his belt. He was obviously unused to this, his whole demeanor telling her trained eyes that he had a secret. She bet event hose without training would notice his odd behaviour. Closing in quickly from behind, she studied his face, committing it to memory. Not that there was much to distinguish the boy, just a mostly healed black eye and a rather large nose.

A thought had her changing her mind. She'd seen him, could likely find the boy again, and with the still visible injury, he should be easy enough to track down. She'd almost reached him when a new and dangerous idea struck her. Immediately, she went into action.

Eliska darted forward, sticking out her leg as the boy tried to step forward. His feet tangled with hers, and he went down. He cried out as his shoulder struck the ground and he tumbled head first over himself. As she'd hoped it would, the movement caused the note he'd received to fall out of his belt.

She didn't give him the chance to notice, swooping in to grab it before all but diving into the nearest shadows. Glad she hadn't had to try and take it directly off him, Eliska watched him struggle to his feet. He jerked his head left and right, his cheeks flaring red when he didn't see anyone else. She snorted silently when the boy didn't even check to see if he had the paper before he hurried off.

Eliska glanced briefly at the folded paper, but decided to leave it for now. She needed to report to Ajani first. Having both notes would be far better than only having one, and if anyone could get someone to talk, it was Ajani.